Saturday, December 17, 2011

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years old and just a delight to have around. Zuni seems to be happy with her but she does have moments of jealousy. We took our first trip in the van with our puppies and it was great. Miss Sophie has a calming effect on Zuni so when the furnace kicked on Zuni stayed on the bed and didn’t try hiding under the passenger seat. Mom and I went to Phoenix for the weekend. This week we are planning a trip to southern Arizona.

The only trouble I had was sharing my little itty bitty bed. I put Miss Sophie’s bed between mom and me. Then I put Zuni in bed with me. It was a cold night and Miss Sophie decided that it would be much warmer under the covers with me. I don’t know how it all came to be but I ended up laying half on the dog bed with Miss Sophie curled up next to me. So I threw the dog bed toward the front of the van and pulled my pillow over. That night I slept in a question mark position to accommodate the two dogs in bed with me. The next night I was able to put the dogs in positions that would allow me to sleep like a normal human. I am curious to see what will happen on our next trip.

I have had a few unusual occurrences. I mentioned it once and the reaction from the folks who read this blog was interesting, so much so that I never mentioned it again. I have had long discussions with someone who knows and understands. Someone who knows what to say when I call and say I see the color brown. She recommends that I find someone who deals with dogs and what they see. Dogs see or sense things that humans cannot. I have a dog that watches something that I don’t see. She can stare for minutes at something or she will move her head like she is watching something moving. Tonight she came running into the house after her walk only to stop suddenly and give a low growl. Then she stood still for over a minute watching something that I couldn’t see. So what does she see?

Is this something I can google?

Life is interesting.

4 comments:

Tom Williams said...

Dogs, cats and the rest of creation sees/senses things that we don't. We have given up so many ways of observing the world. And in turn we use our intellect to understand the world in ways that the rest of creation can not. I think that is why we have pets, to make use of their sharper senses.

Lynilu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynilu said...

I love the description of sleeping with two dogs. I understand, because I sleep with 5, and although my bed is large (queen), there is often a shuffle needed to allow everyone to have sufficient room!

I've noticed a few times when I "see" something out of the corner of my eye or sense a presence in the room, that one or more of the pups will be quietly watching the same place. It's kinda neat! And I like Don's last sentence. :)

Kate said...

I have a science degree from years ago, and it colours most of the way I look at life. However I have had to come to accept that there are some things science can't explain (yet?). And sometimes that makes me nervous, being a kind of person who likes to know.

Regarding dogs, all I know is that dogs have very, very, VERY good hearing and a much MUCH better sense of smell compared with humans.

Dog's sight is excellent at detecting details a long way off, small movements, and they can see better in low light than we can. But other than that there is no evidence that they can see things that are not able to be seen by humans.

Perhaps your dogs are listening?

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...