Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Big Day

Today was the big day! I woke up feeling a little apprehensive but a little excited. So far I have been keeping the excitement level down to a dull roar. I have been around long enough to know that you can take a pile of poo and make it beautiful but it is still poo. My son learned that lesson but it had to do with chess pieces. He has seen chess pieces made out of poo but that is another long and boring story.

I had the termite inspector and the building inspector out at the house today. Since termites are common I wasn't to worried about that. What was I wasn't prepared for was the building inspector. He was a very nice person and extremely thorough, which I wanted.

The house, according to the listing, was built in 1984 so any additions have to have a permit. Yesterday I was searching for the permits but I couldn't find any. It will have to be up to the seller to produce those. I went as far as I could.

Today we found out that the main part of the house was probably built in the 1940's. Which is the small living room, kitchen and bathroom. Which is great! It was the two additions that were constructed in 1984. If they built the additions in the same manner they built the main part of the house all would be fine and wonderful. We would be treating the house for termites and moving in. As it stands the two additions will have to be rebuilt. Which is the two bedrooms, a water closet, living room, and laundry room. Quite pricey folks, quite pricey.

I was telling a fellow blogger this morning about listening to his "inner voice." It is rather odd that a few hours later I was having to listen to mine. I have a lot of my dad in me, which sometimes can be a good thing. I was calculating the cost of having to bring the house up to code and standard and came up with a fairly good estimate and then I tacked on a few more dollars for "oh shit" moments.

We absolutely love this house and its location. When we walk in it feels like home. We will do the work needed but we cannot pay the price that was offered. A little voice told me what to offer, which is considerably lower. Our wonderful Realtor is putting together the reports and will be submitting it. I don't think they will take it. I don't have my hopes up.

This I do know, if our new offer is not accepted then it is for the best. I will be disappointed but not disheartened. Onward and upward.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Arghhh. I had obstacles buying this place, too, but I persisted after considering the possibilities. For me it was good that I pressed on. It turned out well, and I love where I am.

I know it will be as it is meant to be. Good luck.

noisysmile said...

bummer : (

why only creepy photos of your dog?

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...