Friday, September 15, 2006

The Dome

My daughter Hannah was interested in attending a University of Metaphysical Sciences in Kansas City. I believe the first year studies concentrated on mediation, knowing one self etc. The second year study involved moving to a small town in Missouri for further studies. So Hannah and I drove to this small town to meet the folks and see if this is what Hannah wanted to do.

First and foremost I consider metaphysics a science, the most basic reason being that thought affects matter. I am by no means making fun of this. Now onto the story.

We drove to the farm and the first thing that caught my attention was the Monolithic Dome. It looked like half of a golf ball. It is definitely something you do not see in the hills of Missouri. We were met by a very nice lady who gave us a tour of the school which was also a farm. I asked her about the dome, the meaning, how it was constructed, and why in the hills of Missouri. This lead to her discussing the building of the dome and the stories surrounding it during the construction.

Now picture this. We are in a town with a population of less than 100. A place where a bug zapper and a six pack of beer is considered entertainment, a place where cow tipping is popular, a place where there are several “good ole boys” residing. Then the population is increased by 50 or more people and the locals called them hippies. The school was accepted by the people in the community, there were no problems. Then the students built the Peace Dome. The first step in building this type of structure is to pour a concrete ring foundation. Now I am sure that some of the locals took notice of this and I can hear them saying “well you know those damn hippies, always smoking the wacky weed. Hand me another beer Bubba.”

The second step in construction is an Airform which is placed on the ring base. Using blower fans, it is inflated and the Airform creates the shape of the structure to be completed. The fans run throughout construction of the dome. The lady who conducted the tour said “this definitely caught the attention of our neighbors and we had an audience. I am sure watching this was more entertaining than cow tipping. In fact I visualize a tail gate party.

It was during this stage that the students found out the acoustics in this “balloon” were phenomenal. So late at night they brought in lighting and sang and danced in side the dome. Now I will admit to being a little bit of a hippy and I will admit that when I was 19 I dressed like Joan Cleaver and danced and panhandled on the streets with my friends. It was in an environment that accepted outlandish behavior. I don’t know what the community was thinking when this was taking place but my imagination was definitely running amuck. I could see Bubba giving up Monday night football, the bug zapper, and grabbing a six pack and the little woman to run down to see what the hippies were doing. I bet they were convinced they were all stoned.
Think about it, in a community where trailers out number homes…. Then this plastic balloon was inflated and people were dancing and singing inside. Eventually they sprayed the balloon with cement and etc and it was completed. Through out the construction the lady said there was always an audience. They sat in their trucks on the property line and watched. The students were gentle souls, gracious, giving and they would have given anyone a tour of the dome if it was requested. No one requested a tour or came on their property. I think they were afraid. I feel strongly if several cows became sick, or the crops failed they would have blamed “them damn pot smoking hippies.”

When we (Hannah and I) went into the building for services it was a holy place. You could feel the energy, the closeness of God, and I was a believer. When we went to the second floor, formed a circle and held hands it was the closest I have ever been to God. The connection was there and I was sad to leave. I was ready to admit my daughter and send her off to college. Truthfully I think the experience would have been beneficial to her and to some extent to me but she chose going to a traditional college instead.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...