Saturday, November 04, 2006

Happy Birthday

My grandmother had a special and dear friend, Hans. Even though they live across town from each other they saw each other every day. They had a very unique relationship, one that lasted over twenty years. My grandmother, like me, was married three times. Each marriage ended sadly and badly and she was afraid of those two words “I do.” He proposed to her several times but she each time she refused him.

They had been around the world together.

Every holiday they were together.

Every family visit they both would be there.

I couldn’t think of Granny without thinking of Hans. They just fit together. Even though Granny said that Papa Doctor (her first husband, my grandfather) was the love of her life… I knew.

I knew that Hans and she were soul mates.

As the years passed they started calling each other first thing in the morning. My grandmother explained to me it was to make sure each other was still alive. Their date nights became shorter in time because she couldn’t drive and he couldn’t drive after dark.

She’d complain to me that since he was such a good catch all of the ladies would flirt with them. She didn’t have to worry.

They were the picture of propriety. You never saw them holding hands, or sitting to close to one another. When I last visited Granny, I stood in the shadows and saw them kiss each other good night. I felt like an interloper, so I slipped back into my room, and smiled.

When Granny passed away and I had the sad job of going through her personal items, I found the packets of letters and cards he sent her. They were sorted by the year and tied up with ribbon. I felt the love they had for each other and respected their privacy by letting go of them unopened and still tied in a pink ribbon.

The last time I saw Hans, I walked him to his car. He linked his arm with mine and said “Myra and I would sing this little ditty when we walked to the car. Just strolling along my baby and me…” Tears welled up in his eyes and I touched his face and said “I know, I miss her too.”

Happy Birthday Granny.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...