Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving 2005

A year ago today mom and I were sick with the stomach flu. We took over one bedroom, watched old movies, and fought over the bathroom. We had a houseful of company that avoided us like the plague. All of my children were together for the first time in a long time, my grandchildren were there, a friend of Nicole’s came by, and Hannah’s beau, Robert was there as well.

I knew I was dying when I handed my daughter my debit card and said “do anything but block the way to the bathroom.” They all left and the house fell silent except for the groaning coming from the bedroom.

We were absolutely miserable.

Several hours later we heard the tribe come barreling in. Laughter filled the house and I could hear kitchen noises. Occasionally someone would stick their head in the bedroom and ask about our health. We just told whoever that we were dying and to leave us alone in our misery.

I could hear the clattering of pans, the sound of water as dishes were being washed, Hayden crying, and life went on as we lay dying. They created quite a feast. There was turkey, all of the Schwann goodies I hoarded in the freezer, veggies, and dessert. I know because I stumbled in the kitchen to see what was going on. The sight sent me reeling back to the bedroom and the adjoining bathroom.

After supper I could hear laughter, games being played, children being put to bed and we were not a part of it. That was my Thanksgiving in 2005.

Somewhat of a dismal picture?

No, it was probably the best Thanksgiving we had in a long time. It was a time for the children to get back together as adults not as children. It was time for them to reconnect and learn about each other. As children they created a bond that was between children. Thanksgiving 2005 gave them an opportunity to forge a new bond, a stronger bond as adults. They didn’t need their mom and grandmother running the show, telling them what to do, what to serve, what to create. They did it themselves. They spent the day and night working together as a team, creating memories that they still talk about today. They got to know each other as adults. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving.

And what became of my debit card? They spent the day at Miner Mikes showing my grandkids a wonderful time. They took pictures of Hayden in the ball pit, his eyes wide as he slowly sank. I have a picture of Isabel dragging her tickets to the counter to claim a prize. I have pictures of my children together laughing. It was a glorious day.

Now I am off to Cracker Barrel for a Thanksgiving treat. Ah, life is good for the family that lives in their little house on wheels.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...