Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yes Mother


As a single parent of three I needed all the support I could find. Naturally I turned to my parents. The majority of the time they were very supportive of me and I appreciated it immensely.

There was one incident though that caused me a great deal of stress.

It was when my dad told my sons that the best way to get along with women was to agree to every thing they say during an argument. I didn’t know he told them that until the day MAMA GOT MAD.

I don’t know what I was angry about (it could have been the duck in the bathtub) but I lit into one of my boys and when I was through with my speech and lecture, I said “do you have anything to say.” I remember hearing this “you right mother.” This made me feel pretty good. I thought to myself “gee maybe I finally made him understand.”

Scott I hate to pick on you but you seem to pick up grandpa’s ways pretty fast. I remember lecturing you and you said “yes mother,” “you’re right mother.” That is when I caught onto the little game being played and unfortunately it only made me madder. I said “you don’t have to agree with me all the time. I just want you to understand that your behavior is wrong.”

He said “yes mother.”

I think I gnashed my teeth and pulled out my hair. When I told my dad what the boys were doing, he just laughed. Which made me mad and he said “Yes Pepper.”

I was right all throughout the raising of my children, which, of course, only made me madder.

My father also loved to tell tales of his childhood. One of his favorites was when he was living in Kansas City Missouri. He was 17 years old and he asked his mother for permission to go to the Lake of the Ozarks to do a little fishing. She gave him some money and he and a friend were off in his Model A Ford or was it a Model T for a weekend fishing trip. Monday rolled around and he called his mother asking her to wire him some money. She said “Where are you?“ He said “Tampico Mexico.” Yep my dad went to the lake via Mexico. She sent him enough money to get home on and he ended up using it to spend a month in Tampico. During his roadtrip to Tampico Mexico the old car pooped out. His friend who was an excellent mechanic spied an old tractor in a field. So they hopped a fence, took a part from the tractor adapted it, and repaired the car. When he called again for money she sent him the exact amount of money for gas to get home on and told him no more. A few feet from his driveway, the car died again but this time it was because he ran out of gas. His mother, my grandmother was good. Of course Scott was there during this story telling and that is why he ended up in Michigan at the age of 17. Said he was spending the night with a friend.

On that note I will let you know that we are heading out tomorrow. We are heading for Texas…… not Tampico Mexico or Michigan.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...