Friday, February 09, 2007

This Is A Test

This is a test. Every time my oldest child calls; he never asks what town we are in let alone the state. The last conversation I had with him, out of curiosity, I brought this up and he said he already knew where we were because he is a faithful and loyal reader of my blog. Today I went to the UPS store and sent a package to his wife. Now if he is a faithful reader of my blog he should be sending me an email asking when the package will arrive. I will be waiting for his email. Either I will be surprised when I get the email or he will be surprised when the package arrives. I promise not to say “gotcha” well I will try not to.

Today was one of those days. Neither mom nor I wanted to get dressed so we sat around in our night clothes until mid morning. Finally we decided we will go to a park that allows dogs and give Surely a day out. Right by the UPS store is a pancake house and so we ate breakfast there and that led to a conversation about bicycles. I have been toying around with the idea of getting a bike but was still apprehensive. The fear I have of horses is the same fear I have of bicycles. I haven’t ridden one for over thirty years and I recall the pain of falling off more than the pleasure of riding one. I fell off and crashed more times than I can count. I finally said “I’ll get one.”

We went down to a bike shop knowing we will be totally ripped off by the salesman because they can spot a novice a mile off. I explained what I wanted to do with the bike (street and trails) and I had no desire to jump over small ditches or ride it up a ramp. I also explained I had no clue what gears are because the bikes of my youth did not have them. He showed me a bright red bike, which I immediately liked because if I should fall off of it the bright red will surely be spotted first by rescuers. It has gears and if it comes with instructions I can figure it out. It has a wide seat for my wide rear end and shocks. It is not a mountain bike, it is a bike that allows to me to sit tall in the saddle and see the world around me. This is good for the old back. Because I am short they had to order a bike that would accommodate my shortness and I will not have it until Friday. I told the salesman I would take it. Then he said “When it gets here I will help you with adjusting it.”

Crap, I was hoping to take the bike somewhere where there are no people and practice riding it. I do not like making a fool out of myself in front of people nor do I want to appear on America’s Home Videos. My intentions were to slink off somewhere and not ride around in the parking lot where God and everyone else can see me. I made him and my mother swear they would not take pictures and asked if there were video cameras in the parking lot. My mother just smiled and the salesman promised.

When I got home this afternoon I did a lot of research on my bike and you want to know something? The salesman did not rip us off. In fact he could have sold me a mountain bike for a lot more money instead he took me to a bike that was perfectly suited for a middle age novice hell bent on breaking her fool neck. That reminds me, I need to check on getting a helmet.

Location:  Bracketsville Texas

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...