Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bye Texas Bye Oklahoma and Bye Bye Birdie

The past couple of days have been hectic. We left Victoria County, Texas heading for Missouri, or, as I like to put it, the state of Misery. Friday night we arrived in Mt. Pleasant Texas.



I took the back roads and the scenery was beautiful. The only trouble I had, driving, was in a very small town. I don’t think the streets have been updated since the 1800’s. I had a pickup truck with a horse trailer half parked on the street and another truck in the middle of the road. Needless to say, size mattered in this situation and everyone got out of my way. My mom just closed her eyes and muttered prayers.



When I arrived in Mt. Pleasant, I was supposed to take Business 286 or something like that and you can imagine my surprise when I discovered that it was gone. I was given only two options, right or left. As usual, my selection was wrong and I headed out of town. I called the RV Park and they advised me to make a u-turn. I am driving a 34-foot motor home, pulling a car, and a quick u-turn was not possible. In fact, it is never possible. There is a song, sung by the Willis Brother, “Give Me 40-Acres” that I like to sing when I am on the road. I will include the lyrics at the bottom of this entry. About 10 miles out of town I found a large area to flip around and I finally was heading in the right direction. Using their directions, I found myself, not at the RV Park but in front of a Diary Queen.





My kids will tell you that when I get myself in trouble while driving I will scream, rant, rave, and using the most colorful language. The time to be concerned is when I become quiet. Here I was parked in a Diary Queen, looking around, and not a peep. Yes, I was that upset. This was the first time since I have been on the road that I happened on a town where streets just disappear. I managed to get out of the Dairy Queen parking lot, with a small audience watching, and I even managed to find a road that was actually there that took me to the RV Park. Mom just closed her eyes and muttered prayers. It is a miracle I haven’t killed her.



Mt. Pleasant KOA was very nice. We did not want to leave but I have a dental appointment and priorities always win over. We did explore the cemetery in a town near Mt. Pleasant.



I blew through Oklahoma yesterday. Drove seven hours and made it to Missouri.



I have a confession… I killed a sparrow. It was an accident; it flew right into my window shield. I didn’t see it coming and obviously, it didn’t see the rig. I will do anything to avoid taking a life, even that of a sparrow.



I remember one morning, many years ago, while driving to work; I hit a deer with my car. I immediately pulled over, which was at the Catholic Church. I jump out of my car and a priest came out and asked me what was wrong. I was crying hysterically and I explained I hit a deer and I needed to do something for it. I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I was ready to run into the woods, find it, tackle it, put it in the car, and drive it to the vets. Who knows what I was thinking. Instead of comforting me, the priest told me to “get over it.” No wonder I am not Catholic.



Aside from the sparrow incident, the trip was uneventful. I did have one nice thing happen. I stopped at the Missouri line to fill up the tank and the nicest kid greeted me. He filled my tank for me and washed my window shield. I have a HUGE window shield. I wanted to hug him but I figure he would appreciate a tip instead of a hug. I tipped him good. You just don’t receive service like that anymore. Yes, he was an employee of the truck stop.



We will be home tomorrow in time for my dental appointment. It will also be a time for us to catch up with friends and family. It will be a busy time but a fun time.



Until then,



GIVE ME 40 ACRES (TO TURN THIS RIG AROUND)



He was headin' into Boston in a big, long diesel truck

It was his first trip to Boston,

he was having lots of luck

He was going the wrong direction down a one-way street in town

And this is what he said when the police chased him down.



CHORUS:



Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around

It's the easiest way that I've found ...

Some guys can turn it on a dime or turn it right downtown

But I need forty acres to turn this rig around.

When he finally found where to unload, he had a dreadful shock

His trailer pointed toward the road and his cab right to the dock

And as he looked around him through the tears he made this sound

Oh, give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around.



CHORUS



When he finally got unloaded, he was glad to leave the town

He was very, very happy, headin' back to Alabam'

When up ahead he saw a sign, said; "You are Northward bound."

He said; "Give me forty acres and I'll turn this rig around."

He was driving down the right lane, when ahead he saw a sign

Now he's gotta make a left turn, but he cannot get in line

And the tears were streaming down his cheeks and they all heard him yell"

Give me forty sticks of dynamite and I'll blow this thing to ... !"







Location:  Mt Pleasant Texas

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...