Monday, April 02, 2007

Hannah Drinks A Beer - Vicariously

When my daughter was 17, we went to a metaphysical fair in Kansas City, Missouri. We stayed in a creepy hotel that reminded us of the movie "The Shining." They gave us a suite for the price of a cheap room and we had the entire floor to ourselves. We both were feeling rich and decided to order room service. That was when Hannah asked, "Mom can I have a beer?"

I was shocked. My daughter was asking for a beer. This was something I was never expecting to hear her ask for. Being the responsible parent I am I said, "Sure honey."

I noticed that Hannah hadn't touched her beer throughout the entire meal. Finally, when we were through eating and I was through drinking my beer I asked her "are you going to drink that?" Hannah took the bottle, pressed it against her lips, and I saw no swallowing motion. She put the bottle down and said, "I can't do it." That of course lead to a heart to heart talk about responsibility and I told her how much I was proud of her.

Then she said, "You drink it."

I sat down in a comfortable chair, sipping her beer and Hannah was intensely watching me. I asked her what she was doing and she said what are you feeling? What does it taste like? Are you getting drunk yet? What does getting drunk feel like?

That’s my baby - she is the only person I know of that can drink a beer vicariously. I can see her going to a bar, ordering a beer, and then telling the person next to her "Here you drink it."

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...