Thursday, April 05, 2007

Greetings from South Padre Island!



Greetings from South Padre Island!



It is another glorious tourist trap, which I am very contented to be at this moment. There is still a lot of natural beauty and quiet places to go. Mom and I took a boat ride yesterday to see dolphins in their natural habitat and it was a wonderful trip. Photographing dolphins was not easy for me, nor was walking around on the boat, but I had a lot of fun attempting this. Only one person became ill and she was quickly taken to the lower deck near the restrooms.



They called this an “eco tour” because they will cast out a net and capture sea life so you can view it up close. Their catch was very small and the crew seemed more disappointed than the passengers were. The only fish I recognized was a catfish. The scenery from the boat was beautiful, the waters were choppy because of a storm coming in, but it was well worth the money we spent.



I am still a fan of sea gulls even though several blessed my home. Yesterday morning, before the boat ride, I was out scrubbing sea gull poo off the sides of my house. Before I leave, I will have to climb on the roof and inspect.



Our first full day on the island, mom and I spent at the beach. We walked the shore picking up shells, avoiding Portuguese Man of Wars, and trying to calm poor Surely Not. She is having such a terrible time. The ground has many sand burrs and she is afraid to walk on the ground. Her situation has worsened because she is surrounded by water. Poor little thing she doesn’t want to leave the house.



We also stopped at a turtle rescue center. What a wonderful job these people are doing. The organization is actually a hospital for turtles and the ones that can’t be release back to the Gulf is kept there. All I have to say is “please don’t’ litter.” It is detrimental to all living creatures.



I also discovered where folks from Missouri go for the winter. I have met so many people from Missouri during this brief time. I have two neighbors that are from my neck of the woods. Yesterday I met another couple from the same area. It is a little unnerving. Our neighbor across the way is going to give us a recipe for grapefruit pie, which sound delicious! I will share when we get it. It doesn’t require cooking so I don’t have to worry about blowing up my little house on wheels.



My son, Scott is taking a road trip and will be joining us Friday. Mom and I are going through brochures and looking at State Parks on the internet but I think he is just coming here for the babes on the beach. I would like to think that he missed us terribly and will devote his time to just us alone. The fact of the matter is, if he had a choice of good-looking women in teensy weensy bikinis or two old farts, he will definitely go for the babes. I respect this and find it healthy. Mom and I are looking forward to seeing him and catching up with the news in his life.



Today is house cleaning, grocery shopping, and laundry day. More later.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...