Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Illinois

I am in awe, totally and completely in awe. The woods have come to life with a noise that can only be described as mesmerizing. I love the soft whirling noise that will eventually reach a fervent pitch.

Not to many people love Cicadas but I am one that adores them. I remember when they rose from the ground in Missouri. Every step you would take would crunch, you would not dare open your mouth, and all the birds were fat and sassy.

Supposedly, in China they make medicine from Cicadas for hearing related disorders. They are good to eat (most prefer the female because she is meatier) but do you really want to eat something that has been marinating in lawn fertilizers, pesticides and other chemicals for the past 17 years? I will admit to eating a couple of strange things but Cicadas are definitely not for me.

The past couple of days have been magic. The song of Cicada is soothing and their journey to adulthood is nothing short of amazing. There is nothing in my heart but love and admiration for these benign little creatures. I hope I am around in seventeen years to see and hear them again.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...