Wednesday, October 31, 2007

For 15 years Surely Not has lived without a leash, most times without a collar. She was fortunate to live where she could roam free and enjoy being a dog. It wasn’t until we moved into our little house on wheels that she was forced to wear a collar and leash. I was surprised when she took to this restriction.

One of her greatest pleasures in life is the opportunity to run without the leash. With her eyesight and hearing diminishing, I found giving her this opportunity difficult to do. I have lived with her for 17 years; I know her habits, and her little quirks. I know when she becomes confused at night when her eyesight is at its worse she will walk around in a circle. I know when she loses sight of me she will search for me. I also know when she is tired she will lay down even during a hike. Because of her failing eyesight and hearing, I decided to purchase her a cat collar with a little bell.

At night, while I am starting to drift off I can hear her walking around. I did not know, until the bell, how much water she drinks at night. When I put her outside for her evening constitutional, without a leash, I can hear the soft chime of the bell and can zero in on her if she gets a little confused. It is usually dark and she never wanders to far from the door. As I stated earlier I know her quirks and habits.

The bell turned out to be a life saver on our hike in the Rockcap Canyon State Park. It was a long downhill hike to the little river. As usual I stayed close to her with leash in hand and helped down a few small ledges and around a few prickly pear cacti. Because of her size I would lose sight of her but I would hear her little bell. In a matter of seconds she would pop out of the high grass and I swear she would have a smile on her face.

We tried the hike around the canyon where the trail was easier and a little flatter. I think she put all of her energy into bounding and leaping because about a ½ mile down the trail I stopped hearing the bell. She is most times ahead of me but this time she was behind me. When I turned around, I saw her, she was in the shade stretched out and resting. I sat with her and enjoyed the scenery. I felt a little sad because of what I saw, knowing she couldn’t see it. She is never more than two feet in front of me or behind me yet that bell was the smartest purchase I have made. As long as I can hear the bell I know where she is, when I can’t hear it I stop. I am well trained, just like Surely Not.

I know some people would consider this an act of abuse or neglect. Some believe all pets should be restrained, others would think that an older dog should be leashed or kept home. I am always aware of Surely Not when she is outside. If she suddenly gets the urge to run to far from me, I will put the leash on her which has not happened but I am prepared. She is 17 years old, she is a grand old lady, and I don’t know how much time she has left. With supervision I want her to have her freedom and enjoy the world around her. When I lose sight of her in tall grass or whatever I can hear the bell.

Today we are in Big Spring Texas; Surely Not is heading out for another adventure in a little park in town. She will have to wear her leash but she will have another grand day. Tomorrow we will head out looking for a warmer climate. Robin I have tried to get a picture of a prairie dog but those little buggers are faster than they look. I am still trying to get a picture. I have a mission. Until later.




0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...