Wednesday, October 17, 2007

this could turn ugly quick

We pulled into…. Hell I don’t know, somewhere between Clinton OK and Elk City OK yesterday. Just out in the middle of nowhere and land as flat as bologna. The park was clean and had a few trees, plus cable and internet. After setting up camp, I turned on the TV and tuned into the weather channel so I could find out about the winds.

The weatherman said, “This is the worse I have ever seen it. The weather situation is ripe for spring tornados but this is fall. Folks, this could turn ugly quick and I suggest that you all take cover or find a safe place. For those who don’t have a safe place I would suggest you start digging a hole as fast as you can because you only have two and a half hours to do so.”

Mom and I just looked at each other with our mouths hanging open. I knew it was windy but I didn’t see a dark cloud in the sky. Since I only had a dust pan to dig with I knew we were done for. I went to the park office, which didn’t have a storm shelter and paid for another day.

All through out the evening mom and I looked out the windows like rubbernecks at an accident site. We were waiting for the hellacious storm the weatherman had forecasted.

We waited, then waited some more. Then we checked the internet and the TV and they forecasted storms but nothing of the magnitude of the dooms day weatherman. Is this an Oklahoma thing to do? Scare the bejesus out of their audience.

We spent the day doing laundry, organizing, and reading. There was no storm, just a shower, and all is calm. We will be in Amarillo Texas tomorrow.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...