Monday, December 10, 2007

Hibernation

I am silent because I am hibernating until January 2nd. Like a grumpy bear I will emerge from my cave after the holidays to avoid verbal altercations and road rage.

I was born in the time of baby boomers, person born between 1946 and 1964. I am not sure what they are calling people born in the 1980s but I call them 80 babies. I feel the majority of people born in this decade are very self centered and don’t have a clue about customer service. They were given awards for just about everything which they did not earn or deserve. I believe the reasoning for doing this is to boost their self esteem. I would venture to guess that none of the people were ever given a spanking. They have been pampered and over nurtured. Now, they are adults in need of an attitude adjustment. It is not “customer service” it is “me service”.

The latest example of dealing with a twenty something sales clerk was the other day. I went into Circuit City to purchase a much needed photo printer. After waiting 30 minutes for a group of 80s babies to finish their personal phone calls, one of them decided to help me. She asked me to go to the next aisle and find a sales clerk. I could feel my blood pressure rising. When mom finally found one, the clerk had to let me know that I was inconveniencing her first. I told what I wanted and showed her a display that had the printer. She looked at it and said “we don’t have it in stock.”

My response: “Excuse me, could you please check to make sure or check the computer to see if they have it in stock at the other Circuit City.” She just stomped off.

I can hear her now in the break room. “I had to take care of a real bitch; she demanded that I do my job and expected a professional salesclerk that knew about customer service. I just won employee of the day award for showing up for work so what does she know?”

These are the same people that drive an interstate as if they are competing in a race. Zip, Zip, Duck, Dart, BRAKE, and oh here is your award for killing more people on an interstate in a single day.

Then there are the Born Again Christians sale clerks. They will let you know they are born again and give you a brief lecture on becoming born again. Not enough to get fired, just enough to irritate you. They end the transaction with “God Bless You.” When you come home with your purchase to find it defective and call to request repairs or replacement, you get an ear full. My usual response is “Excuse me, could you please remove the knife you just plunged into my back so far that it protrudes from the other side. Thank you and God Bless.” These are folks who hide their ugly side with biblical quotes and God Bless You. I guess it will insure them a place in Heaven. “Listen God for every person I took advantage of I quoted a passage from your book and that forgives me for my transgressions.”

As angry as I am, when I come home I am surround by caring, fun people. I have two great neighbors; in fact I have a wonderful neighborhood. Folks that reside here enjoy talking to each other and sharing great stories. All of the women have no problems sharing their husbands and that is a feel good moment because it is great to see a relationship without fears. I have a resident roadrunner that sits on the fence in front of the RV, a wonderful view of the mountains and the city. I have found my solace, my peace from the rat race. When I feel like venturing out again to enjoy Las Cruces I will be posting more often.

Location: Las Cruces

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...