Saturday, October 11, 2008

One Good Deed

Thursday morning mom and I compiled a grocery list and took off for WalMarts. I pulled into a parking lot and noticed a tall, skinny man carrying an elderly lady's shopping bags. She popped the trunk open and he set them inside. They carried on a brief conversation and she handed him some money.

I said to myself, "I'm in trouble."

I am approached for change, food, or rides. I have two invisible signs I carry that only certain people can see. Those people are the ones who have the need to tell someone their life story and/or want money. I really enjoy the life stories and if the economy doesn't straighten up I might be joining the panhandlers.

I am very good at saying no to people who want money..... well most of the time I am. Really I am.

In this situation I knew I couldn't say no and sure enough he approached me. He told me he was hungry and on hard times and I am sure he would have said more but I just handed him two dollars. I really wanted to say "One dollar for your drug habit and one dollar for a bite to eat."

He was a meth head. I have hung around many, many, many meth heads and I can spot them a mile away. The nervousness, the eyes, the teeth, the vacancy where a soul use to be, and the sores. He was classic.

Yet, he carried someone bags, he stop to talk, and I am one that can't say no to someone who has done a good deed. I gave him the money and said "have a nice day."

In one of my many psych classes I had to take the MMPI test. Then I had to "diagnos myself" for a grade. I did a stand up job doing my own assessment but the instructor had to take it one step further. After the testing, the assessment, he went over everyone's tests, then he stood up in class and selected certain people to pick on. At least that is how I felt when he pointed to me and said "If anyone needs $10 bucks that is the lady to go to."

At least my stools aren't black and tarry!

4 comments:

noisysmile said...

oh momalu walmart doesn't have an s.

but that's why I love you.

not sure I get the poop part.

Pepper McKean said...

It is one of the question and that depends on how many WalMarts you go to.

Pepper McKean said...

Notice I left a S out?

Anonymous said...

nd a bottle of water or an apple goes a long ways on a hot or hungry day.

Thanks for being you.
xxxJolie

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...