Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery

The Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery’s benediction:
“Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen. Say Amen.”



A Race Based Benediction... hmmm

To take a quote from Obama Inauguration Speech: "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.”

Obviously Obama and Lowery are not on the same page, judging from the smile from President Obama during this "benediction" he approved of Rev Lowery speech.  It is going to be a scary 4 years folks.

2 comments:

Lisbeth said...

I thought the SAME thing when I watched that... I think they've all said so many platitudes they don't even really listen to the meaning of anything they themselves say anymore.

Anonymous said...

The thing that I try to remember is that (so far) most presidents have been kept at bay if they go too far off the mark of what the congress and the senate and finally the people want.

I hope he doesn't let the race trap get in his way too. And I also agree that any time there is change it is scary...even if a change is necessary. Hell, it takes me forever to get used to a new haircut and usually by the time I do it's time for another trim. Much like the politics of each new president...by the time they are flying off in that final helicopter ride I am used to their policies even if I do not always agree with them.

Trusting politicians...and for me it doesn't matter what sex or race they are...is very hard to do. My trust needs to be earned thus, I will be at that let's wait and see stage for a very long time while trying to grab onto a bit of the new hope that's in the air.

I also think it is a good thing that we have people like us and so many others around the world who try to watch and listen and who let our voices be heard when we have concerns. We're not always the most popular kids on the block and we are not always right in our accessments but we may make those who live with their heads buried in the sand pay attention once in awhile to what is happening to shape our world.

So anyhow, here's me trying to be hopeful and watchful at the same time. It seems we have been in a state of crisis forever and on top of that the rest of the world looks to America to lead the way out.

Yes...scary.

XXXJOLIE

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...