Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Avilla, Maple Grove, Carthage

Maple Grove


Maple Grove Missouri located just a few miles from Avilla Missouri on State Road 37.  I was in awe of the Cardinal singing and video taped the church with his song as the background music.

Route 66
Mom and I traveled from Springfield to Carthage on Route 66. Someone said it would be a boring trip but I knew there had to be something exciting. Once I had the internet I starting searching and I found the excitement in the small town of Avilla.  Today we traveled to Avilla.  

In Avilla the abandon buildings and fields are said to be haunted by the “Shadow Folks.” Shadow Folks are dark shadowy ghosts. They are seen walking around in the town, standing under abandoned store awnings, in windows and passing through the lock doors of the US Post Office. They usually disappear when they are being watched by the living. There is one Shadow Folk that is the town drunk. These Shadow Folks are best seen at night or early morning but has been seen during the day.

There is the Avilla Phantom of the Death Tree Legend. He is totally different from the Shadow Folks. He is more of an evil energy while the Shadow Folks are more benign. He haunts the Death Tree (believed to be a very old hedge apple tree at the edge of an apple orchard near the outskirts of Avilla). I know the next question is “why is it called the death tree.” Well during the Civil War, a Confederate Bushwhacker was killed during fighting at the southern edge of Avilla. When he was found months later, his skull had a large bullet hole and his body had deteriorated to a skeleton. Instead of a burial, the town citizen militia hung the head from a tree as a warning to other enemies. The tree became known as the ''Death Tree'' and the skull hung for over a year for all to see.

I do know that shadowy figures do exist. We all have seen them but most people won’t admit it. That is why I would give my right arm just to spend a couple of nights in one of the fields surrounding Avilla. Instead I settled for a walk around town looking at the buildings and a beautiful old church. I also took time to admire someone’s yard. I love anything that has “character” and Avilla has it. It is a neat old town.

Carthage Missouri
After visiting Avilla we went back to Carthage and walked the town square. We stopped in the 1950’s style diner and ordered a couple of salads. I have been doing pretty well about watching what I eat but unfortunately on Tuesday it is free brownies day with every meal ordered. I need to learn to say NO. Later we went to Kellogg Lake and walked the river. It was there that we decided to find the “Crap Duster.” We located him just down the road. It was a great day, tomorrow will be even better.


Life is good.

To view my photographs click on the Names below.

Avilla Missouri

Carthage Missouri

Kellogg Lake

Maple Grove Missouri

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...