Friday, April 30, 2010

Wednesday Mom found “something” called Lowell Davis' Red Oak II Missoura in a brochure. Since we were both interested in learning more about Lowell Davis (Crap Duster artist) we decided to go there instead of the cemetery. When we drove to the road on which it was located there wasn’t a sign advertising it and I was concerned that it was closed. I decided to call and make sure it was open and we were on the right road. I spoke to gentleman for almost 30 – 40 minutes. I didn’t learn exactly what it was we were going to see but it was a great conversation. I found out Red Oak gets a lot of visitors and there was a car show there last weekend but it was rained out. He explained that it was still under construction, there was workman all around, and he would leave the school opened for us. He said “come on down and walk around.” I got directions (three different ways to get there) and off we went. We knew Belle Starr’s house was there, as well as a school, an unopened café, and an unopened gift shop. We also knew it was under construction. The first person we saw when we drove up there was Lowell himself. Then I tried to pull into the driveway and had to slam on the brakes. A little chick was running around chirping and I had to get out of the van to chase it off so I could pull in. The chick was so confused because it went running to a Muscovy duck. It reminded me of the story “Are You My Mother?”

I pulled in and we got out and we were greeted with a Chinese Crested Dog and a pug with an attitude. Also there were Muscovy ducks, a mallard duck with her babies and a goose… It was wonderful. I felt right at home.

Red Oak the original town was about 40 miles east of Carthage it was Mr. Davis’ hometown. During the depression the town almost died out. Then about 45 years later, when Mr. Davis moved back to the Carthage area he found the remains of his childhood home. He bought what buildings he could and transported them to his home east of Carthage. This is what started the town of Red Oak II.

We were the only visitors that day and it was a magical day. Mr. Davis’ sculptures were scattered about and some were a little difficult to find. Someone opened the school, the church, and the general store and we were allowed to walk through the buildings. Mom and I just wandered. It was unbelievable.

Saturday we are leaving and will not have internet for a while.

To View More Pictures, Click Here

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

Wow1How cool is that? And I never heard of it, despite all the years in "Missoura," not far away from there.

hannah jane said...

I've never heard of this either. Sounds cool.

Al Bossence said...

These are fascinating ! Al said you are doing a "great" job with the picture taking. Really good composistion.

Pepper McKean said...

Thank You. That really means a lot.

Al Bossence said...

I sent the link to your post to Belle Starr ( the Bisbee Belle ) She had a replica of Belle's cabin from Oklahoma built on her property.

Kelly

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...