Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Greetings from Iowa

We are back in Iowa! Minnesota is a great place to visit but not to stay. There are cheaper places to stay such as county parks or fairgrounds but you have to be quick. We like to explore as much as we can and when mom gets tired or we run out of daylight we go hunting for a place to stay. Half the time we got lucky and the other times we were flabbergasted. The last park we stopped at was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.


We are on a budget folks; sometimes we eat beans for a week in order to afford the luxuries of life. "Never complain, life is just a big old adventure and learning experience" is our motto. The folks at the last campground were beyond that.

Upon arrival I was asked, “How many in your party?” I told her 2. How many are in your van? I should have said “we are transporting 21 illegals and we have them stack up like firewood.”  I didn't say it because I though might get in trouble for saying I was transporting firewood.

We found out there was a base rate, followed by “extras.” $5 per person that visited us or stayed with us, $2 for Internet, $2 for cable and list went on. I was told the showers were for rinsing off swimsuits and not for bathing. Then there was the trash issue. I was given instructions on how to deal with my trash and was told if I had trash I need to go through it. There was wet garbage, plastic, aluminum, glass, paper, dog droppings, and they were to be put in  separate containers located somewhere. I stopped listening after a while. I figure I would take my garbage somewhere else where it was appreciated. After dinner I looked at mom and said “I am through with Minnesota.” Maybe when we stock up and save up we will venture back someday. Minnesota is a beautiful state with a wonderful history.

Meanwhile we are in northern Iowa. We plan to stay put for a few days in order for the mail to catch up with us. We are also staying in a park with full hook-ups, showers that you can get naked in, Internet, and has normal garbage procedures. Oh and a storm shelter. All of this for under $25 bucks – Life is good!

I have plotted out our adventures for a week and I happy to say the most I will be paying for a place to stay is $18.  Woo Hoo

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...