Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Roadtrip To Huntington Indiana

Yesterday we left South Haven Michigan our destination Huntington Indiana.  We took the back roads all the way and we drove by fields of grapes, corn, and blue berries with beautiful old growth trees as our ceiling.  It is beautiful country.    Our first stop was in the town of Grand Junction at the restaurant “Country Fare.”    We noticed the sign “Good Food”  and I did a u-turn.  When I pulled in this man looked up from his conversation with another man in a car and just grinned at us.  He immediately left his conversation to open the door for mom and then he hugged her.  It wasn’t just any hug, it was a big ole bear hug. 

Poor mom.  She doesn’t like to be touched and hugs make her uncomfortable and here is this old hippy just hugging the stuffing out of her.    So I went around and he went for me. 

So we just stood there his arm around me and he is talking a mile a minute.  He absolutely loves our van, even if it is a Chevy.  Then he asked who owned it and I threw mom under the bus, so to speak and told him she did.  He had a hold on me and he didn’t let go.  He was retired, about my age, and his dream is to go across the country and end up in California.  Then he wants to fly out of California to Panama.  I told him to fix up his Subaru and he could live in there. I have met people that lived in smaller vehicles than my van and it is doable.   We might have another one on the road in a few months

Mom and I really enjoyed our visit with him.  He was an interesting character with a good heart. 

After a wonderful breakfast we took off and drove through the towns of Bloomingdale, Gobles, Paw Paw, Jones, White Pigeon,  Sturgis and then we crossed the border into Indiana.   We saw a lot of beautiful downtown areas, historical cemeteries, and, to be repetitious, beautiful country.  It was a great day.

I am now close to Huntington Indiana and today we are going to look for my ancestors on my father’s side. 

cmainstreet (5) dcemetery (25)
dcemetery (28) butterfly
DSC_0121 DSC_0118
DSC_0069 DSC_0009
Click here for Robinson Cemetery Gobles Michigan.
Click here for Spring Grove Cemetery Bloomingdale Michigan.
Click here for Constantine Michigan Cemetery.
Click here for Constantine Michigan downtown.
Click here for Constantine Michigan river walk.

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Don't you meet the most interesting characters in small communities? I love going into a cafe or little general store type business and striking up conversations. Fun!

hannah jane said...

omg gma lost her stuffing whatever will we do?

: ) God I need friends, or at least some interaction with people. it's been bumpy here but doable. is that a word?

I am behind on pictures, and will probably have a pic fest tomorrow.

I miss you guys.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...