Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Huntington Indiana

Yesterday mom and I went to Clear Creek Cemetery to try to find the graves of my ancestors on my father’s side.  It was another cemetery that had fallen due to lack of care.  It had the stones that were broken or missing.  Some of the stones had fallen over and I flipped a couple over only to discover the words were faded.  It was sad.  I did find some of the people granny talked about and that was interesting.   I am in a town I have never been before and yet due to stories I was told I remembered those I never met.  These stories have been written down and someday someone will read them.  I burned my children out with stories of old and the genealogy.  All I have to say is “your gg grandparents” and they run for the hills.  I have not printed out my family history and even though I have seriously considered it I doubt if I ever will.  I have been researching my family before there were computers.  Sarah I will print out the Peavyhouse Genealogy out for you. 

After we explored the cemetery I drove to Jefferson Street and wandered.  I was in awe of architecture of some of the older businesses.  Mom and I were amazed at the old brick mansions in town as well.  I could see Cousin Sally riding down Jefferson in a carriage…. she was obese and she had a skinny husband that catered to her.  She loved to get dressed up and show off.  These are my Granny’s memories of the stories that was told to her.  Stories she wrote down for me.  Silly little scraps of paper. 
My granny’s family were farmers, small business owners – they never lived in the brick mansions that she was told about.  They were comfortable but not well off. If it wasn’t for the fact that they had such large families they would fade into obscurity.  In fact one almost did – Peter Hamrick.  His wife couldn’t afford  his funeral and I never did find out where he was buried.  He could be in an unmarked pauper grave.  I have his story, a part of him lives in me, he is not  forgotten.

After walking the streets, I drove to the library and met a lady that was the county historian, genealogist extraordinaire…    She gave me some wonderful ideas on how to unlock the McKean/Lash family and she also helped me unearth a few goodies about the Binkley and Kitt families.  I am excited to be heading to Ashland on Friday.   Needless to say I spent a least 6 hours with her and I had a ball! 
Life is Good!!!

3 comments:

Isabelle said...

been thinking on making my own blog but i don't feel interesting enough to read...Got alot of anger built up...need someone to kill (wanting jer but he wouldn't notice) god i hate him...makes me think "where did he learn this stuff grandpa was his male influance...sad guess im more like grandma and grandpa..I don't care if ur mother was the devil if they are dying make an effort..the first 4 days she was in the hospital she kept asking where he was i told her where he has been...why she is so depressed..I wish she knew i tryed my hardest if i would of tryed any more ... Id be a mess of stress worse then now (im having my times but im better coping now..or just defeat..Ur my only normal childhood i have that understands.. Nar talks to Nancy more then me..wha can i say to them bet who's next in the family only time i really see them lol aunt jeannie i still don't bleave i feel bad for hating her for what she did to grandma and stood up for my gma...in my head i keep hearing mom saying "be nice to ur kids they pick ur nursing home" errie

hannah jane said...

Bell/Izy whatever, you will always be Bell to me, please make a blog. Mom and I and grandma too would love to be a part of your world.

Now, mom, I can tell you right now that you are full of gopher shit. : ) Because I am (am in italics) curious about my past. More than you think. Maybe not omg excited like you, but definitely oh holy wow, really? excited. Please share.

hannah jane said...

And yes I see the poem ; )

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...