Sunday, April 03, 2011

Still In Missouri

The reason mom and I ended up in Missouri was to see a doctor for my yearly physical.  Once again my cholesterol level was brought up.  I have had this problem for years and I am on some pretty strong medication.  My weight was not a factor, it is hereditary.  I hear “you have to watch what you eat,” yet I am not sure what it is I am suppose to be eating.  Last night mom and I went out to eat and I was trying to figure out what I could eat.  It was a buffet so I concentrated on fish and a salad.  The couple sitting next to us heard us talking and a wonderful conversation started.  The gentleman was a Vietnam vet, been exposed to Agent Orange which of course caused a myriad of medical problems.  He also has diabetes.    He was a wealth of information.  He uses a book to keep track of everything he eats which I am checking into purchasing it.  There is a web page, Calorie King, which I am going to use.  It lets me know exactly what I am eating and what is in it.   I was given a George Forman grill and I am going to purchase a toaster oven.  Try to eat smarter.  I have started taking fish oil, 2 tablets 4 times a day.  Which is not a good thing when you live in an itty bitty van.   I have been told my body will adjust. 

Tomorrow we need to run back to my hometown to sign some papers and then back to Kansas City for the night.  Tuesday, knock on wood, we will be out of state.

3 comments:

Barb said...

I hope you are able to get your Cholesterol down. You are lucky that you know about it, though. Lots of people never get the test, and could be in trouble. Mine has been borderline in the past, and I usually change my eating habits, no ice cream, milk chocolate, cut down on mayonnaise, that kind of thing. And lose ten pounds. That usually works for me. Good Luck! :)

Jerry and Suzy said...

When we started on our current weight regimen, we used the Calorie King book, which was some help, but required too much looking up, writing down, etc. Then we used their software to great advantage. You still have to track everything, but it is so complete! And once you design a particular meal or food item you use regularly, you can save that in the program, and just call for it. It will show all the calories, fats, carbs, sodium, etc., for the whole item. For example, Suzy makes a great breakfast sandwich with Sandwich Thins, turkey sausage patty, egg, light mayo and a little horseradish sauce. All we have to do is put in the name of that sandwich, and the count is on our screen. Best of success to you in keeping it all under control!

Four Windows with a View said...

When I went to my last RV show, I went specifically to look at "itty bitty' vans like you live in, only there weren't any. That's when I decided on the View, a bit larger than what you have. I hope we meet up somewhere so I can check out how you and your mom make it work in your van. Good luck on the food issue. There's enough info out there to drive you nuts.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...