Sunday, June 05, 2011

Ground Squirrel Love

I just love to sit outside and watch.  The desert is full of motion – from small wasps that burrow underground to the occasional road runners that wander through.  The animal I enjoy the most is the round-tailed ground squirrels.  This is the best time of year to watch them because the babies are out and about.  There is a lot of wrestling and playing going on.  The mothers are there, ever watchful.  They can stand straight up and not move for hours.  In fact they look like little stumps.  I have been outside so much watching that I have become a fixture in their lives.  So they play close by and occasionally one will stray into my space and stare back at me.  There is one ground squirrel  with unusual markings on it’s belly and mom named her Buttons. The other day I grabbed my pistachios, a cold drink and my book and went out to sit in my chair.  You can imagine my surprise when Buttons came up to me, then sprawled out on her belly next to my feet.   There I sat, calmly reading with a ground squirrel at my feet.  She didn’t move until I moved to go in the house.  Maybe she thought I was one of them because I eat nuts too or I gave her wonderful shade. 

This morning I heard a commotion…  I saw a crow, flying low to the ground and the ground squirrels all went diving into their homes.  For a few moments there was total chaos and then I saw the crow fly off with one.

I hope it wasn’t Buttons. 

I have uploaded more pictures of the trip to Carlsbad, Click here to see the rest.

CSC_0232 CSC_0233
DSC_0021 DSC_0087
DSC_0075 DSC_0149
DSC_0143 DSC_0180
DSC_0189 DSC_0215
DSC_0201 DSC_0214
DSC_0218 DSC_0219
DSC_0235  

8 comments:

Bob said...

I think Buttons wanted a pistachio.

Jerry and Suzy said...

When I saw the title of your post this morning, I was a little taken aback. We have eaten ground beef, ground turkey, ground pork, ground veal, and even ground bison, but ground squirrel? Isn't that a little strange? Then I realized. What a relief!

Lynilu said...

I get semi-attached to feral animals, then I'm so sad when they disappear. But I've enjoyed watching the second offspring from my resident doe as they have grown up here. I won't stop watching.

Four Windows with a View said...

I love ground squirrels, too. When I first moved to Tucson I would put out some dry dog food and they'd get pretty close to me to get it. Like you, I think they trusted me after awhile.

hannah jane said...

You should tell scott that that's not the best way to light a cigarette.

: ) I crack myself up.

I am going to have to go back through my texts about Buttons. I thought you were losing your donuts.

I have been ignoring everything this week due to the tourney, and I apologize. I am slightly preoccupied and cranky. HEY that should be the title for my memoir. Woo watch my head spin as you say.

I am off to look at pics.

Staci said...

Nice stuff! I'm enjoying reading your blog here!

hannah jane said...

I am hopeful.

The Good Luck Duck said...

Toes crossed for Buttons! I know everyone eats, but I just want everyone to eat tofu. Bean curd, Crow?

Roxanne

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...