Sunday, June 25, 2006

George Washington Carver National Monument

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these."

Today Mom and I went to the George Washington Carver National Monument. There was mile long hike that showed us the woods where he played. As well as the house that he returned to, to visit Moses and Susan Carver who had raised him to adulthood. I have always admired him. Not because of my love for peanut butter but for who he was, what he had to go through to receive an education, his wisdom, his intelligence... The list could go on forever. What an honor, it would have been, to shake his hand. When Martin Luther King's birthday became a national holiday, I thought to myself.... “They choose a man who incites and not a man who instructs.” To me the honor needed to have been given to Mr. Carver. Who was a quiet, gentle soul who desired education and assisted in educating others. So much for my preaching. Again, pictures will be uploaded to Ringo. It was a beautiful place and very peaceful. Surely Not was a little neurotic more so than usual. I think it is because she is out of her element and proving the old adage of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" true. Tomorrow-historical Carthage.

"Where there is no vision, there is no hope."

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...