Sunday, June 25, 2006

Wildlife

I was reading my Cousin Robin's blog about the lack of wildlife in the city and that made me think of my home town of Camdenton.

I am seeing more and more of our wildlife on the side of the road. Today I drove past a family of skunks that someone had struck with their vehicle. When I am outside of Camdenton, driving down a back road I do not see the carnage that I see in Camdenton. The Lake of the Ozarks is becoming more and more developed and I feel like I am driving through a large city. With development comes the destruction of habitat and that leaves the carnage. I remember catching blue tail lizards and fireflies, watching with childish delight the possums, raccoons, and skunks that lived in close proximity. I remember hearing the whip o wills at night. Being young, I didn't appreciate this and now that I am much older, I miss it.

It is time to move on and find a quiet place to hang my hat. I would love to show the world, as I knew it as a child to my grandchildren. Just this evening, coming home to the RV mom and I watched a family of raccoons and it was nice.

Carthage

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...