Thursday, July 06, 2006

Grandma Grump Is Worried

Received word over the holiday that my grandson, Hayden will be going in for medical tests. The doctors think it is Craniosynostosis. The definition of Craniosynostosis: "Craniosynostosis, also called synostosis, refers to the premature fusing of the joints (sutures) between the bony plates that form an infant's skull." Its not serious unless you chose to ignore it which is not happening in this case. Any type of surgery scares the hell out of me and especially in someone so small. He is favoring one side and that worries me. I don't see both of my grandchildren enough because of distance and in these situations I just want to see them. James my oldest son and the proud father of Hayden and Isabel will call me as soon as he knows something. I have read that Seattle Pediatric Hospital is one of the best. I will not try to worry but that is hard to do.

I remember when James was born and the doctors said he had some hard to pronounced problem. As a brand new mom I absolutely freaked out and the doctor said "It just means he will never write his name in the snow." Of course he had to explain that one to me as well and I will not explain it now. Scott was born with a short palette and I refused to let them do surgery. I chose instead to work with him and teach him how to talk and today you cannot tell he ever had this. When I was pregnant with Hannah she never moved. The boys were like football players. I could feel and see their movements. With Hannah... nothing. I told the doctor I thought she was dead. He examined me and reassured me that she was very much alive. For 9 months I felt nothing and worried.... Until she was born and I held her for the first time. Kids have a tendency without intentions of scaring the hell out of you. I just hope this is not Craniosynostosis and that it is just a flathead treatable by wearing a helmet or band.

Will keep everyone informed.


0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...