Thursday, July 27, 2006

Today

It finally rained. I never knew how much I missed the sound of a thunderstorm. I was lying in my bed which is the cab over and the sound was more intensified than if I was in my house on a foundation. At times it was deafening but I enjoy every nuance. I am sure if I was thinking I would be terrified because an RV can be lifted and moved to an undesirable location in a heavy wind but I was too wrapped up in the experience. When I woke up this morning everything was new again. All of the dust had been washed away and everything felt clean.

Surely did not take well to the storm. She stood on the edge of the loft like a suicidal person on a window ledge. No matter how I tried to console her she still had that look of desperation. Finally I put her in my mother’s bed and she calmed down. I think it was a little to close to the ceiling for her liking.

This morning I grabbed Surely’s leash and took off for a little walk. I was enjoying the sights and as usual Surely was enjoying sniffing, which brought back a memory of me asking my friend Betty why dogs sniff all the times. Keep in mind I am not an expert and I don’t portray one in real life. I consider Betty wise beyond her years. This is what I remember her telling me.
Dogs sniff trees, rocks, bushes, other dogs’ butts because it is their newspaper. It tells them who was there, what that other dog was doing, how old the dog was, if the dog was a boy or a girl and if your dog was polite he would add his own editorial to let other dogs know what is going on in his world. Sniffing each other’s butt is not only a newspaper it is also a great big howdy and are you ready for a little bit of loving. Dog’s sniffers are an amazing thing. It’s a shame we can’t have their noses because it would stop a whole lot of trouble.

Today it is run around and do errands. My daughter will be here tomorrow instead of today because she too has errands. We are planning on leaving Sunday for the Meramec River and vegetate there for 5 days. If anything new comes up I will post but until Sunday I will be silent, if you can believe that.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...