Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Meramec State Park

Meramec State Park, Missouri
Arrived July 30 left on August 4th 2006

Three generations of wonderful wacky women went on this trip. As I said earlier my daughter joined my mother and I for a vacation before she goes back to the city and back to college. We stayed at Meramec State Park. We parked the RV by the river but we didn’t have a view of it because of the trees and underbrush. But you could hear it, if you sat still long enough and the river always has a special smell to me. There were several paths to the river and we spent our days lounging on the riverside and swimming. I took full advantage of having water so near and gave Surely a bath. She hates water but she tolerated the river bath well.

When we arrived the weather was so hot it took your breath away. When we pulled into the park on July 30th the temperature was 107 degrees. I set up camp, so to speak and pulled out the awning, and put mom’s rocker in the shade but we stayed indoors the first day. The next night we waited till nearly dark to build a fire and cook hotdogs and created smores. Then we went swimming afterwards. Mom sat and watched Hannah and I laughing while minnows and a couple of perches nibbled on us. She had to give it a try so the next evening she laid in the water and felt the fishes and the current. While relaxing, a huge tree fell making a quite a racket. It scared the bejesus out of everyone there. Just as quickly as it happened, things returned to normal. The cicadas with their chaotic music, the occasional bullfrog joining in and of course the horseflies all resume their lives afterwards. I think mom knows the magic a river holds.

You would think after Hannah and I’s a near death experience in El Remate, Guatemala she would learn to put on sun screen. When she left she sported a wonderful burn and several bug bites. Mom and I are relatively safe from mosquitoes; it pays to be old and tough as leather.

Once again we were without phones or internet.

My daughter left on August 3rd. Her job fell through and so she is looking. Also she received word that she can move into her apartment a few days earlier so she has a lot of packing to do.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...