Monday, October 23, 2006

Mayfield Kentucky Cemetary

We visited another beautiful cemetery in Mayfield Kentucky. This one had something a little unusual in it though. An 18-figure group was erected in the late 1890's by Henry G. Wooldridge. He is the only person entombed on the lot. The group of monuments consist of two statues of Henry- one astride his favorite horse, Fop and another with him standing beside a lectern. Colonel Wooldridge raised, raced, and sold horses in the Mayfield / Graves County area. He never married after his first and only love died in a riding accident years before in Tennessee. About 1880, as Col. Wooldridge neared 60 years of age, he moved to Mayfield, where he lived until his death on May 30, 1899. I took lots of pictures and they will be posted after I post this.

Another interesting monument is the statue of an angel holding grapes. According to folklore, when the monument was erected the angel was holding a full stalk of grapes in her extended hand. As time past, one by one, the grapes began to fall and disappear. Legend has it that when the last grape falls the world will end.

Afterwards we headed for Paducah and stopped off at a bookstore. It is not a good place for us to go, believe me. We have reading material now which will be nice when I snuggle into bed tonight. We just found out it will drop below freezing tonight so I will have to drain my hose and turn on the heaters for the tanks.

As the Duke of Paducah would say “I’m goin’ back to the wagon, boys, these shoes are killin’ me!"

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...