Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Showers

Our dining room window overlooks the shower and that has proved to be far more interesting than watching my neighbors. The building looks like a ramshackle shack, something out of the movie “Tobacco Road’ but inside it is all modern conveniences. The have a small porch to the side for those who need a modem to surf the net. The behavior of people coming to and from the showers is what fascinates me. Older men throw on shorts, flip flops, and have a towel thrown over the shoulder. They stroll over to the showers and 15 minutes later – they come out doing the shower walk. That is a walk you get after having 5 cups of coffee. The younger men wear droopy pants, baggy t-shirts, and they carry their towel in their hand, not thrown over the shoulder. They amble to the shower nonchalantly. They come out of the shower looking the same, walking the same, and the only way I know they have showered at all is their hair is wet. Women are a whole different ballgame. There are some (like me) that wear anything over to the showers and carry a shopping bag of shower necessities. I consider them bag women of the park. They step into the shower, like superman stepping into a phone booth and when they come out they are transformed from bag lady to doing the shower walk. Some women go in wearing a robe and house slippers and come out looking like a nun. Yes a nun. This one in particular came out dressed in a gray dress with a matching head dress. I swore I was looking at Mother Teresa.

The showers are extremely busy in the early morning hours. Some folks walk over to the showers, find them busy, walk back to their home and return in a car. That I don’t considered strange until this one fellow walked back to his trailer put his family in the car and returned immediately. What was he thinking? I guess he was aggravated and wished to give his whole family the same aggravation of waiting. Maybe two whining, screaming kids would drive the people who were occupying the showers out. Who knows.

I backed up the coach and locked into a signal. So we have the internet.

This morning Surely and I walked to the banks of the mighty Mississippi and sat and watched the barges. There is something soothing about a river. I think after I get through with my choring I will return and sit and ponder.

Later

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...