Friday, November 10, 2006

An Apology

My son, Rusty told me he had a GPS system on his cell phone. I laughed at him. “What the heck do you need a GPS system for?” In my opinion it is nothing but a waste of money.

The next day, my mother needed her prescription filled and we usually go to Walgreens for refills of her medications. I typed the address of the nearest Walgreens in my mapping program and wrote down the directions. 2 hours later we were sitting in our little house on wheels, trying to figure out where the heck is Walgreens. We drove all over the place trying to find it. Then we drove all over the place trying to find our way back. That is when I made up my mind.

I found a small town about 40 miles away that had both a Walgreens and a Wal-Mart. It was an eighty mile round trip but it was the only way I could get to both stores without losing my way.

I bought a GPS system. We will be eating beans for the next 3 months but I walked out of Wal-Mart the proud owner of a device I had no clue how to use. While mom was waiting for her prescription to be filled I sat out in the car learning how to operate this device. By the time she came to the car, I had it fully operational with the address of the RV Park programmed in. She said “I feel like I have been replaced.”

I guess somewhere in the programming it takes the shortest way, not necessarily the easiest way. We had to drive through Tuscaloosa on our way home and we went through every back street Tuscaloosa had to offer. At one point mom and I were convinced that the GPS system was leading us in the wrong direction but we were so lost by then we decided to leave it on praying it would lead us out of the city. Our very lives depended on this device I really didn’t know much about. To make matters worse three of four times it said “satellite signal has been lost.” Amazingly it led us back to the interstate and back to the park in less time than it took to get there.

Today for chuckles and grins we typed in the address of the Walgreens that we couldn’t find and it led us straight there. Amazing little device. I will never get lost again. Sorry son that I mocked you.

Kids, remember this our greatest adventures were due to my getting lost.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...