Friday, January 19, 2007

Friendship


I wish that I could experience the relationship that my daughter and her best friend, Denny had. It was truly special.

The only way you would know that Denny was ill was her lips would sometimes turn blue, she got to use the elevator at school, and there was no PE for her. Denny lived her life to the fullest. She had three siblings all stricken with the same illness but their condition was not as severe. As far as I know they are living in Iowa and doing fine.

Denny and Hannah would spend hours daydreaming, giggling, and doing the typical teenage girl things. Throughout their relationship Hannah knew that the time she had with her best friend would be short. You just don't think about it until it happens. Denny's passing left Hannah devastated.

As Denny's illness progressed she was placed in an alternative school. Denny's friends soon disappeared and it became only Hannah. When Denny could not climb the stairs to Hannah's bedroom, Hannah simply moved her bedroom downstairs. They would spend their time playing monopoly, looking at architecture magazines and designing their dream home. They would paint each other toenails, practice putting on make up, and talk till the wee morning hours.

The only pictures I have of Denny (that is with me) were taken about a month before she passed. By this time the medications had taken their toll and I keep these photos tucked away.

Thank you for the comments on Hannah's letter. It really surprised me that she wrote something like this because her writings are very abstract. (In a positive way Hannah) It finally dawned on me that this is appropriate. Denny was with Hannah through out most of her teenage life. Hannah experienced a lot firsts with Denny and it is fitting that Denny be with her when she first becomes published.

Hannah I want 5 copies.... Autographed by you.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...