Thursday, July 26, 2007

Older Dogs



Hannah, I can’t help but think about you and Robert’s concerns regarding Peppy. I know medium size dogs don’t have the life span that smaller dogs have, so I can’t compare Peppy to Surely Not.

I can say this. Regardless of age, treat him as you did when he was a puppy. His gait might be slower, his vision might be blurred with cataracts, and his hearing has gone from being selective to being down right deaf but he is your baby. Just go a little slower and be a little more patient.

In human years, Surely Not is 112 years young. She has become clingier as time passes. If she can’t sit next to me she spends the time moping. Or she will sit somewhere where she can see me. It has become her passion to know where I am at all times.

Nighttime is no longer magical for her. If she strays too far, then she is lost. I have seen her going around in a circle and when I clap my hands, she runs towards me as if she hasn’t seen me in years. For some reason she has a hard time hearing my voice but a loud clap she can hear.

Confusion has begun for her and sometimes I think she is just lost even though I have her on a leash. I find myself yelling to her “I am over here.” Then I realize I just need to clap to get her attention. Tugging on the leash just startles her.

She sleeps more as each day passes. She stores up all the energy she can so she can burst out of the door as she did when she was young. The first 10 – 15 minutes of our walk is spent with her bouncing around and barking. The reminder of our walk is spent at a slower pace.

Letting go is my biggest fear as it is with you. Saying good-bye is never easy especially with someone you have spent 16 years with or even one year. Just enjoy old crotchety Peppy and count each day with him as a blessing.


My old friend, this song's for you
Cause a few simple verses
Was the least that I could do
To tell the world that you were here
Cause the love and the laughter
Will live on long after
All of the sadness and the tears
We'll meet again, my old friend
~tim mcgraw~

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...