Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Oh The Place We Have Been

Metamora Indiana was a delightful little canal town. The folks in Metamora saved their town by turning it into a tourist destination because of a man made canal. The canal began in Lawrenceburg Indiana and originally ended at Cambridge City Indiana.

It is a town filled with shops, historical buildings, and for a fee, you can ride the canal boat or a train. It also has a cotton mill that was latter revamp as a gristmill. Cotton is not a main crop in Indiana.

It is a small town and easily walked. It is a tourist attraction. For 50 cents, you can buy a small cup of corn to feed the well-fed ducks. I chose not to because I was raised in the Lake of the Ozarks. I had all kinds of ducks that I fed, played with, and named.

Click here for Metamora Indiana.

As usual, we took the back roads to Metamora. Twisty curvy roads that made me think of the story mom told about old man Moulder. Old man Moulder helped create the roads that are in Camden County. Mom said you could always tell when he took a little too many sips of whiskey because the road became a little more crooked.

We also explored the town of Oldenburg, which calls itself the “City of Spires.” We found two and it was worth the trip to see them. Oldenburg is another historical town that was fun to drive around in and sightsee.

Click Here For Oldenburg Indiana, City of Spires.


Of course, I had to see Peppertown and find a sign that bears the town’s name. It is no longer considered a town it is called a village. Fortunately, we didn’t blink or we would have missed it. I found the cemetery and a sign so I considered that a lucky break. The town is named after the family with the last name of Pepper. Wouldn’t it be odd if I should marry a man with the last name of Pepper? This would be a cold day indeed.

Our last town was Brookville. It is a large town with historical building buildings and a wonderful cemetery.

Click Here For Peppertown and Brookville Indiana.

Somewhere between Oldenburg and Brookville, we found two wonderful little cemeteries, Cupp Cemetery and Arlington Indiana Cemetery. Arlington Cemetery has a dollhouse and I actually wrote down every word on the plaque in front of the grave. It is a sad but inspiring story of a little girl and how her dollhouse brought the town together.

Click Here For Arlington Indiana Pictures and Dollhouse.

Click Here For Cupp Cemetery and Arlington Indiana Pictures.


It was a wonderful lazy day, the kind mom and I needed. Thank you Robin for your thoughts and for the poor chicken you are going to kill regarding Surely Not. I am getting anxious. I doubt very seriously I will not survive tomorrow until I hear from the vet that she is okay.

During my free time I create a website. Thank you Robert for putting up with me, you are indeed a saint. Yes Dirk, I kept it simple. That was the best advice. KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Until later.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...