Thursday, September 27, 2007

Epilepsy In Older Dogs

The main sign of epilepsy is seizures, which can be categorized in three ways. Intracranial causes of seizures have detectable defects, such as a tumor, inside the brain. Extracranial causes of seizures have metabolic or toxic changes that are outside the brain but affect the brain to cause a seizure. Seizures of unknown cause form the third category, calledidiopathic epilepsy.

Since Surely’s seizures started one month after her 17th birthday, she falls into the third category. Epilepsy is a functional abnormality in a neuron that causes an abnormal neurologicexcitation that generalizes to the whole brain. It is similar to a lightning strike on a house that sends abnormal current through the normal electrical system. Recognizing a seizure is important and often difficult. A seizure can be minor and show as only slight loss of muscle control (called a partial motor seizure), or it can be severe, with the dog paddling on the ground completely out of control (called a grand mal seizure). In general, a dog will lose bladder and bowel control during a seizure, will be unaware of its surroundings, and will appear abnormal after a seizure.

So far, Surely’s seizures have been mild. When I first noticed her having seizures, it occurred when she was resting or in mid walk. If she is standing then all she will do is sway back and forth, become disoriented, and it takes a while for her to come around. I only saw one seizure where she tried to walk and it was like she was moving in slow motion. Finally she just stopped and swayed. During each of her seizures I talk to her, touch her, and let her know that I am there. Last night she was nesting at my feet. I was lying on my bed and I heard and felt her rooting around, digging, snorting and then she became quiet. That was the only time I picked her up during a seizure and just held her. She ended up sleeping against my chest, under the blanket, and it was nice hearing her snore.

The vet said that most dogs will pass on at the age of 11 and I am so grateful for the extra 6 years. I am hoping that I will have many more. The first line of treatment for epilepsy is a barbiturate, usually Phenobarbital. That is what Surely will be taking.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...