Friday, September 07, 2007

Overcoming Your Fears

Mom and I share a fear of heights. Neither one of us will not venture out on a cliff, nor peer over the side of a building. Today we decided to conquer that fear and take a ride on the “Sky Lift” to reach the natural bridge.

Mom remembers climbing the side of the mountain to get to the top to see this wonder but that was when she was 10 years old. I too, remember scrambling through the bushes and trees to see it at the same age. Now they have paths. Knowing neither mom nor I will make the 600 foot walk we decided to take the lift.

First you wait in line, then one person steps on the black square and the second person steps on the red. Then the lift scoops you up and takes you up the side of the mountain to see this natural wonder. Fortunately the operator took mom’s age in consideration so there was no scooping. Truthfully I didn’t want to be scooped either. I sat clutching my purse, mom clutching the bar and we soared like the eagles even though we were two chickens in eagle’s suits. I managed to fire off a few pictures but peering through the lens was making me a little nauseous. We joked and laughed nervously all the way up – 12 minutes but it felt like 2 hours.

It was worth the ride. I remember the bridge as being narrow but in truth it was wide. I walked across it and explored the other side. Then I took the trail to Lover’s Leap to see the bridge from a different angle. I climbed and walked all over before I tuckered out and had to go back down. Going down was far worse than going up. When we got to the bottom, we found the penny machine and had a penny smashed with the logo “I Rode The Sky Lift.”




0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...