Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Word For Today Is………



Enigma






Definition: An enigma is a puzzle, something mysterious or inexplicable, or a riddle or difficult problem. Source: Wikipedia,



Enigma \E*nig"ma\, n.; pl. Enigmas. [L. aenigma, Gr. ?, fr. ? to speak darkly, fr. ? tale, fable.]

1. A dark, obscure, or inexplicable saying; a riddle; a statement, the hidden meaning of which is to be discovered or guessed.

A custom was among the ancients of proposing an enigma at festivals. --Pope.

2. An action, mode of action, or thing, which cannot be satisfactorily explained; a puzzle; as, his conduct is an enigma.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)



I chose this word as a way of defining me. I am an ‘enigma.” I have infiltrated the world of retirees and they don’t know what to do with someone that is 16 years to young to retire. I get the look, the questioning look…. I get the subtle statements “money is tight but you don’t have to worry… do you?” I have seen women making their men leave my presence. She is young, she is alone, and she isn’t old enough to retire. She either has money or she is after it.


Mom and I are alone in a sea of snowbirds that have settled into the park long enough to form enough friendships that there is no need to be friendly. Laundry day was today; I drug my tired, sick self out of the house and did several loads. No one spoke to me at the laundry mat; I was drifting alone in the proverbial sea of snowbirds. Since this was a public laundry mat, a local woman did sit next to me and struck up a conversation. I could tell she felt the same as I and it was great fun to pull my life raft next to hers and listen to her complain about how dirty her husband gets.



I am also feverish and babbling.



All is well.
Location: Arizona, Benson

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...