Sunday, June 29, 2008

Playlist and The High Cost of Gas

One of my childhood memories is receiving a portable record player and a 45. The song was "I Will Follow Him" and I remember singing it over and over. To this day I can still remember most of the words.


I don't remember who gave me this gift but from that moment on music has always played an intricate part of my life - like the Trisha Yearwood song, "The Song Remembers When." I can be shopping, browsing the radio and a song will come on and I find myself going back in time. Yes the feelings are still there.



My daughter asked me to create a playlist and I just blew her off. I think I told her that no one would be interested, it was a waste of time, and why bother? I am glad you did, Hannah. Mom and I had a blast creating it. I started with music that I enjoy now. This led into my mother asking me what I was doing. Next thing I know we are sitting together and laughing and remembering and crying. It was the first good cry I ever had since I can remember. There is nothing better than tears and laughter.



So what are some of these memories?



"Rock City" is mom and I's theme song. It was the first song we played when we took off on this fantastic journey that we are on now.



"Elijah" was the song I listened to when I heard that Bob had passed and the song I listened to when I said good-bye to my friends. I realize now that Betty and Jill gave me a chance to not only to say goodbye but they did it with a sense of humor.



Hannah I also included the song you called "The Vigilante Song." I still have to agree with Charlie Daniels on this one. I even included Junior Brown's Highway Patrol because I can't help but think about Rusty whenever I hear it. I didn't leave Scott out on my playlist. Dead Skunk, he loved that song. Hannah I am sure you will figure out which one is yours - 500 Hundred Miles.

Narvel Felts - I would give up my single ways for that man. (See the above picture) I remember driving two hours to a town in Illinois to see him sing. I think the name of the bar was Possum Holler. I acted like a complete groupie, star struck - I was 18 years old and my heart still skips a beat when I hear him. God he has a voice and he is cute as a bug's ears. Oh baby. What a man.... what a voice.



Whiskey Lullaby and He Stopped Loving Her Today, in my opinion are the best tear jerking country songs ever created. Marty Robbins was a great story teller and makes me think of a special friend (female), an attic bedroom, and giggles.



White Cliffs of Dover - faith.



Daisy A Day? I rewrote the chorus to "I'll Give You A Crisis A Day, Dear."



Coconut.... California days, nuff said on that matter.



We made it to our destination and it is beautiful. The only down side was I had to stop for gas. I had to do it in two hitches.








It was enough to give this old girl a heart attack.











Location:  McNeal Arizona

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh wow mom how FLIPPING COOL! I heard the music before I read the post and I listened to a few. Now I will listen to more. Perhaps you can show me how to put my music player on my page so it's not a complete disturbance and then I'll tell you a couple of stories, although I am quite sure you've heard most. This is awesome! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I will call you this afternoon. Major housework inside and out today.

I am trying to decide if I should set it to where if you want to listen to it you can turn it on yourself.

Anonymous said...

6 O'Clock this morning and I was listening to yer songs...lol...A really Great selection by the way...a lot of them are ones that I grew up listening to and loving thru the years...but when my all time favorite came on, it caught me totally by surprise...for ya see, I hadn't glanced thru the playlist first...I just wanted to be "surprised"...and, boy...was I when "Feed Jake" came on...Damn!
Gotta be a "real" redneck when that song brings tears at such an early time of the start of one's day...wouldn't ya say?...hee hee...

Thanks very much for sharing!...a lot of "good memories" in those songs for this ol' fool also!

Anonymous said...

A good selection, Pepper. I'm enjoying it as i comment, and I might just hang around for a bit to listen!

I know I hate to go to the gas station. I can't imagine what you go through at the pump. I hope you enjoy staying on a while at your next home-away-from-home! Whew!

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...