Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dancing With A Tarantula

One of many things I enjoyed while in Guatemala was tarantula hunting, everybody that reads this blog is aware that I have my eccentricities. The tarantula that I am used to are big and black. One of the most beautiful arachnids in my opinion.



While taking my evening stroll this evening I came upon an Arizona Blond Tarantula. Not as big or as beautiful as the ones in Guatemala. I decided to interrupt his nightly stroll and get a picture of him. I stepped forward, he stopped, I aim my camera and the darn thing charged me. The ones I have dealt with in the past were not as aggressive as this one.



Soon the dance began. I jump back laughing as he would charge forward. I would walk around and he would follow. I attempted a picture, he would charge, and I would jump back. Okay I was laughing hysterically because I have never encountered anything like this. I managed to get behind him and didn't move, not even a chortle, and he calmed down. He assumed a position and froze. He was guarding his turf, which in my opinion covered at least a 1000 miles radius. I watched him and waited for his rear end to go down. I figured when the butt went down he was calmer. Then I lowered my camera, ground level and as he was whipping around, I snapped. Then I jumped back laughing. I managed to fire off a couple of ground shots, then I just photographed him from above. I would have been a little more assertive but I was wearing flip flops. My ten exposed little piggies was not going to be roast beef to an enraged tarantula.



The worse part of this "dance" was I was entertaining two gentlemen without being aware of it. I gave them something to think about. I didn't acknowledge them, I just walked off, carefully. I didn't want to step on the tarantula. When I left him, his butt was down and was back to guarding his kingdom.
Arizona Blond Tarantula
Tarantulas spend most of their time underground in burrows (a tarantula burrow can be identified as a 1-2 inch hole covered with some fine strands of silk). In the winter they plug the opening with rocks and silk and remain in a relatively inactive state, living off their body reserves. Except in the mating season, tarantulas remain close to their burrows, and prefer to hunt at night. To eat, they grab and inject their prey with venom which paralyzes them and begins the process of digestion.
Tarantulas are not dangerous to humans, though they can deliver a painful bite if provoked. In addition to venom, tarantulas are equipped with barbed hairs on the top of their abdomen. When threatened, it can brush these hairs onto it's attacker. These hairs are irritating, and because of the barbs, are difficult to remove.
The spiders typically mature around 10-12 years of age and can live up to 20 years. Once mature, a male will leave his burrow in search of a mate (the tarantulas you see on the roads in Arizona are usually males cruising for females). Upon finding the burrow of a female spider, the male will announce himself by tapping and plucking the silk at the entrance. After mating, the male beats a hasty retreat lest the female kill and eat him, though even if successful, he usually does not survive much longer.
And no, I don't think this is the varmit that bit my mama!




Click Here For More Pictures



Location:  McNeal Arizona

3 comments:

noisysmile said...

Love the pictures. it looks like you're getting a lot of awesome opportunities to take great pictures.
Wear some freaking shoes though just in case you run into a big hairy spider again.
Love you. Give scott a hug when he gets there.

Pepper McKean said...

I am creating your blog banner and I am going to use that big hairy spider.

Something in the lines of waste of words expressive and underneath it BITE ME

Your mamalou

Lynilu said...

Well, that was interesting! I've had scorpions chase me, but I didn't know about the tarantula! Very cool!

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...