Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Update

In the sea of multi-colored heads I was the only grey one.

The last concert I attended was held outside. There were benches to sit on but most people just sat on the ground. The air was filled with the aromatic smell of pot and cigarettes. Beer was drank freely by all. I am sure there was security somewhere but I never saw it. It was really laid back.

Fast forward 30 years.

I went to a Jason Mraz concert last night. Scott and I entered the door, handed over our tickets, and the first person I saw was a cute little blond handing out free condoms. Of course, she realized that she just offered someone her mother’s age one and she just giggled and said never mind. I should have asked for asked for 6.

We immediately went to the auditorium and to my total surprise there weren’t any seats. It was standing room only. Since everyone was purchasing t-shirts, cds, and picking up free condoms Scott and I were one of the first to enter and we were right up front. People were coming in and the pushing and shoving began. It wasn’t bad, in fact it was interesting watching people fight their way to the front. I ended up in the third row before the show started but I was close enough to be happy. It was a lot of fun and quite an experience.

The House

We close on the 25th at 8:00 a.m. I wanted to hire a general contractor to oversee all of the jobs that need to be done but Michael aka Realtor insisted that I orchestrate all of it. He gave me a list of people, businesses to call and I set up a calendar. I realize that this is a good way to really know my house.

I am a little scared to mention all that is wrong with our home because I know there will be those that will say…. “Are You Freaking Nuts?” With that I have to say…… “yes.” It makes the world a little more interesting but we are frugal and we do drive a hard bargain.

I have learned all about Subterranean Termites and how to get rid of them. I learned that you don’t feed the birds because you will attract rodents. We do have live rodents and a dead lizard in the bathtub. I did receive permission to have the exterminators out before the closing date so the process can be started ASAP. We need a new roof and a new panel since it was double dipped. The well is in great condition and the septic has been pumped and certified. We will need to have doors installed for both bedrooms and all of the exterior doors replaced. We will also have part of the house restuccoed. I am not sure of the spelling but I found a great company that comes with great references.

The worst part though is painting the exterior. I can get a little wild with paint color and mom is more conservative. I would have a purple house in the desert and mom would have a tan. It is for the best that mom chooses the color. The only painting that needs to be done on the inside is in the “Arizona Room.” It has been painted pink. I loathe pink. That will be something Scott can do and he is also conservative in selecting paint color so I won’t have an orange Arizona Room.

There are odds and ends that need to be done and I am sure after the final walk through we will find more to add to the list. Since we are closing right before Thanksgiving we are going to spend Thanksgiving in our house. I am also going to bring my camera with me on the final walk through and will be posting them to my blog.

What is interesting about the property is we are neighbors to two subdivisions. We are surrounded by a sea of McMansions. Fortunately we have enough acreage that all we see is the tops of the homes but when you drive to our house the first thing you are going to think is we bought a McMansion. Our home is just an old fashioned, true adobe home small and cozy. Yes you have drive on a dirt road to get to it. As I stated earlier a gravel road leads to home.


Photobucket

4 comments:

noisysmile said...

wow you were close.

Have I ever told you about the osama bin laden condoms?

And yes, a gravel road does lead home.

Lynilu said...

Aw, heck, I'd go with purple and drive the McMansions up the wall!!

A "true adobe"?? Really?? Wow! You found a real adobe that is affordable, even with the upgrades you mention?? I'm very impressed! You have a future in real estate, Pepper!!

Looking forward to pictures!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you, Mom and Scott! Cannot WAIT to see photos. It sounds like you will have some extreme before and after photos to share with us all during your new home's transformation, rejuvenation and the whole process of making it your own. Congrats! It's like Thanksgiving has come early.

Robin said...

How about a tan house with purple trim? That could be awesome!

(I could swear I posted this before...)

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...