Friday, December 05, 2008

The Mother Of All Roots

I have a lot of wood that needs to be treated and in order to do so  I needed to remove a vine that was growing up the side of the house.How hard is this job?  I am not a gardener, I have the proverbial brown thumb and that surely would qualify me to kill a vine.

First order of duty is to removed the vine and dig up the root.  Since I didn't have a shovel I did all of the digging by hand that was inside of a glove.  That root is as round  as a dinner plate and I haven't yet found the bottom of it.  Not only that it gave birth several times over.  I followed the vines from one flower bed to the flower bed adjacent to it.  It would grow a little, pop out a seed and branch out.  It repeated this throughout the flower bed.

I ended up chasing and pulling vines for about 30 minutes and finally I just started ripping out EVERYTHING.  I was a woman obsessed.  I did spare the asparagus fern so I have something green in there but everything else was ripped out.  Well, the exception being the mother of all roots that is still in the ground.

Folks I tugged and pulled and dug and tugged and pulled and dug and tugged and pulled and.... well I was on it like a dog on a bone.  I was sweating and cursing and grunting and groaning and that darn thing still wouldn't budge or even wiggle.  I am pretty sure it is dead but I am wanting it out of the ground so I can hang it on my wall like a deer head.  I have never encountered anything like that and I thoroughly convinced it is an alien being growing in my yard.  I have a hole in my garden bed that extends to edge of hell!!!!!!!!

Speaking of hell, I also have a slow drain in my shower that has been driving my mother and I crazy.  The way this rig is built I can't get to the pipes without doing some damage.  I also won't pour a bunch of dangerous chemicals down there either.  I mentioned something to mom about getting a plunger and she found a baby plunger.  I purchased it and went home like a kid with a new toy.  Yeah I was excited!

Did I mentioned that the drain has been slow moving for months and months?

Anyway I get home to my little house on wheels and went flying into the bathroom.  I ran a little water and started plunging.  The drain gave a little burp and the smell was so bad that I think I lost consciousness for about thirty seconds.  Lulu, who has become my little shadow, little eyes started watering and mom was in the kitchen thinking "what the hell is she doing in the bathroom?"  The drain is fixed.  I just won't wait so long to come up with a good idea.

Tomorrow Ajo!  Tomorrow night Lulu's life will change.  She is going to a dog training class and after 8 weeks she will sit, stop chewing, come when she is called, walk on a leash like a lady.... either that or I will be well trained.  Sunday I will attack the wood with a wire brunch and weather proof it.

Fun days ahead.  Woo Hoo



Photobucket

2 comments:

noisysmile said...

hey woman pick up your darn phone! we got our calendars!

Lynilu said...

Pepper, get a small container of Roundup. Put some on the mother root and it will not be a problem in the future. Well, unless you want to remove the root itself. Gah! I say, cover it up and it will just return to nature. I'm not a real fan of using chemicals like Roundup, but occasionally there is an otherwise undefeatable plant.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...