Sunday, March 29, 2009

House Warming Party

Scott found an invitation to a house warming party tucked behind the "No Trespassing" sign on his gate. Scott is very good with people. He has the charm and personality and can hold his own in any situation. On the other hand, mom and I prefer to avoid social get togethers. We are just uncomfortable in that type of setting. We did decide to meet the neighbors.

I have never been to a house warming party. Keep in mind I have always lived back in the woods and I am a little socially behind. I do know this, you need a gift. After pestering my daughter, Hannah about what do I buy, I drove to Hallmark and bought a photo album. If there is one thing that can be used or regifted it is a photo album. I know a bottle of wine would have been a better gift but the only wine I know is Strawberry Hill and do they still make that?

We decided to drive there even though we could have hoofed it. We met just one of the owners - the husband. He was gracious and told us to look around. We left our gift on the table designated for gifts. I will have to say there was enough wine there to keep me happy for a year so I was happy to gift a photo album. It was definitely unique.

The first room you walk into is the living room. Tastefully decorated with beautiful tile work, the fireplace was lit, and the overall feel was homey. You can look out the windows and see the mountains. The art work was beautiful. The kitchen was custom and the again the tile work on the floor, backsplash, was gorgeous. Their caterer had set out enough food to feed an army. Fruit, veggies, luncheon meat (sounds better than flat meat), crackers...... We didn't eat. We had already decided to grab lunch at the Greek sandwich shop down the road. When we stepped out into the courtyard and saw the custom swimming pool with hot tub all done in natural rock we were amazed. They had a little casita for guests that over looked the pool and courtyard. It was an amazing home. Of course the Porsche in the garage caught Scott's attention.

Since I did get a little witchy with the last neighbor I met I felt it was necessary to go to this. To show the neighborhood we can be polite and that they are not living next door to the Munster family..... After exchanging a few pleasantries we left

Folks, my house does not look like any of my neighbor's homes. There are two other homes, one of which is tucked away like mine, that are older. I will say with honesty that it was a beautiful home, HGTV would be proud but it is not for me. I can appreciate it and admire it but I couldn't live in there.

I don't feel silly for dancing a jig when I found my 1970s sunken bathtub could be saved and I was unpset when I found the matching sink and cabinet could not. I love my saguaro rib ceilings because the ceiling is older than the orignal part of the house. If you think about it, it is a 200 year old ceiling. I love the simple layout, the views from the kitchen, and bedroom. I like the fact that the house might be older than me. I love the true adobe feel of it. I can't wait until we finish up with it, hopefully at the end of this month. When it is done I will post pictures but I won't be having a house warming party. There is a reason for the "No Trespassing" sign.

4 comments:

Lynilu said...

My humble abode does not hold a candle to most of my neighbors' homes, either. It isn't what I thought I would buy, and I also know it doesn't measure up in the eyes of many others. But I chose my view over some other amenities. When I gave it some thought, I decided to ensure my aesthetic happiness over impressing others for my remaining years. I'm glad I did. I love where I am, I love my little cracker box.

noisysmile said...

In a neighborhood surrounded by lawyers and/or families I definitely do not feel like I belong. Hell mom we have a freaking pond in our front yard and because we do not have any fancy pants gardeners we have made many silly but very noticable mistakes like planting a blackberry bush in our front yard. I cannot wait to find a little place that is tucked away but instead of a no trespassing sign we'll have our trusty blackberry bush right in the way : )

feliciadel said...

I love the new background and your dog blog!

Anonymous said...

You know what I live in so you know I am not one to judge other people's choices for a home. I have always liked the adobe look plus I think it is the best kind of house for living in the desert.

This is not my ideal home but it takes care of our needs.

Apparently it is my husband's Ideal Home because every time I suggest a move he VERY quickly veto's it.

He's the bread-winner so this is where we live.

I've been to a few housewarming parties (only for family or close friends) I felt comfortable at the parties but I'm not sure I'd feel the same at a stranger's party. I'd go (like you gals did) just to be polite and it is smart, especially these days, to be able to put a face on one's neighbors.

I love your new house and it's great that you were able to salvage the sunken tub.

Our Robin girl (the social butterfly) would be having BBQ's with them all of the time.

We've lived here 10 years as of the first of this month (April) and I know about 3-4 of our neighbors by name. Many of the old fools die off. Kevin, on the other hand knows every one and they all know him. I am the mystery wife.

I hate when the neighbors know all of our business but with living with Kevin and Libby when she was still here the neighbors know everything. They just don't know me. Thank Gosh for a tad of privacy.

Up here we call lunchmeat (cold cuts) when we are serving them at a party. Big-shots have cold-cuts...poor folk eat lunch meats.
I love me some smoked turkey flavored "Spam". I can eat it right out of the can that it comes in if I want to. (S)

I like Lynilu's new photo. Of course I thought the other one was nice too. Big smiles are nice.


Later girlfriend...J-

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...