Sunday, April 19, 2009

Painting or What A Surprise

You never know what color paint is until you put it on the walls and you cannot depend on the store to get the color right.  Mom and I told Scott what we wanted and left it up to him.  The living room and laundry room was to be an off white, leaning more towards brown.  Scott went down to the Home Depot, went through several paint chips and decided Sand Dollar was a good color.  They even painted the color on the lid so we could see it and it was a nice off white.

I have an aversion to the color yellow and rightfully so.  My first home after my divorce was a 1960's mobile home painted an "Always Save" yellow.  My home really stood out in the trailer park and not in a good way.   Mom loves yellow and associates the color as brightness and light.  I look at yellow as an embarrasment.  You know where this is going don't you?  Let me finish.

Yesterday Scott and I primed the laundry room, living room and bathroom.  The goal today was to finish painting the three rooms.  After I left yesterday, Scott decided to paint the laundry room which is the same color as the living room.   That color was to be "Sand Dollar."  Only that wasn't the color in the bucket.   Scott liked the color so much that he painted a wall, took a picture and sent it to me.  I was so surprise that I threw the dogs and mom in the car and drove out there.

I am not sure what the color is, I am thinking it is more butter than buttercup.  My mom and Scott is thrilled with it.    In fact by the time I got over to the house he had the laundry room painted.  Truthfully I like it.  It is all brightness and light and it makes you feel really good when you walk in.  We do have enough to finish up so we don't have to worry about trying to duplicate it.  I plan to take pictures when we finish it.   Now we just have to find a color that will go with our yellow living room to paint the kitchen and dining room.  And pray it is the color in the bucket.  We are trying to go  a shade or two lighter than the living room.....  Now I am not sure what color to paint it.

As odd as it sounds, the older part of the home is the darkest.  We have a bank of windows running down one side of it and it is still darker due to the shade.  We definitely need to paint it a light color.  It will be something in the yellow family. 

Strange isn't it?  As an adult, I have always lived in a house on wheels.  First a single wide then a double wide.  My first real home was "Always Save" yellow and my first real home without wheels intererior is yellow.  Only this is a kinder, gentler yellow.

Mellow Yellow, perhaps.

4 comments:

Kate said...

I like yellow! But I know where you are coming from... It can be very.. overwhelming! Like too much sunshine or too much bonhomie :-)

Pics?

Anonymous said...

I've always disliked blue but I will suggest that you look at cornflower blue as it is a fine color to set along side of a buttery yellow. I know this because I plant lots of blue and yellow flowers together.

Also a soft coral would do well or a taupe. We recently repainted our tiny bathroom/laundry room in a gray and lilac combo. It sounds like a funny mix but it turned out quite well. When Richelle comes next time I'll have her take a picture. I always do combo's that everyone says won't work yet when it's done people like it.

I can hardly wait to see your photo's.

Basically choose what you all feel comfortable with. You can buy little bottles of paint samples for like $4.00 for an oz. or two and try several colors and decide that way. Good luck. Such fun decorating and making the place home, eh?


Later my pal, Jolie

Robin said...

Gray and lilac.... what a beautiful combination.

Now. If I only had a house....

noisysmile said...

OH LORD MOM you got a GOOD color out of it. we got a sample can of that purplish color and painted a part of the wall with it to see if we like it. It is Malibu Barbie Pink. NO JOKE!

I can't wait to see the yellow.

the word verification is picklma : )

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...