Monday, June 28, 2010

Bottle In Front Of Me…..


One of the ladies I met in Clear Water was a real sweetheart. We shared our stories between snorts and giggles. It was just an instant connection between two people who doesn’t give a rip about convention. We both tried to be politically correct in our introductions but after hello it all went to hell in a hand basket. I don’t’ know how it all began –if it was her story on getting drunk and falling off the porch or my frontal lobotomy story. I know I asked her why she walked so funny and that led to the porch story. Then she said “Fortunately when I tumbled off the porch, I was given all the necessary tests and it was discovered that I have a neurological problem.” Then she chuckled and said “I thought it was peripheral neuropathy because I was a really bad drunk.” She since then quit drinking. I started laughing and explained that my father had peripheral neuropathy because he drank. Then we both got the giggles because I told her not to feel bad by telling her the story of my sister saying “I rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.” A lady sitting next to my sister became quite irate because her son had one. We shared our war stories with laughter. By the end of our lengthy conversation a friendship, however brief, was formed. I am not a huggy person but when saying good-bye a hug was definitely in order. She and her spouse are off to Massachusetts and maybe someday our paths will cross again……

We had to move. We woke this morning and found we had a lake in our back yard! The old Skunk River was giving the campground we were staying a fit. So we are on higher ground with a poor internet connections. Once again I can say “life is good.”


I know what some of you are thinking….. Alcoholism, peripheral neuropathy, frontal lobotomy – these are not funny. For those thinking this – you can kiss my….. Click here for pictures

4 comments:

The adopted daughter :) said...

You must meet alot of interesting people thu your travels :) Been busy here,dont feel like leaving comments on fb, I don't know what to say lol..Glad u are doing good :D I love yooou's

Lynilu said...

Well, hrumph!

Seriously, if you don't lalugh about some things they will eat you alive. Gofer it!

hannah jane said...

haha about the kissing the wazu part. woot to you mom.

Anonymous said...

Geez, you choose that phrase to immortalize me in your blog? I have to say, it's always been one of my favs.
Love you, sis!!!! Mom, good talking with you and hope your
80th birthday was the best (cemetary visitations aside).
Thanks Pep for your blog - enjoy your reads!

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...