Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Ulm MN

We are thoroughly enjoying our time in Clear Water. We have met some really nice people and seen some interesting sites. I am spending the evening uploading pictures and writing seven blogs. If we leave Saturday I want to be ready to put this blog on automatic pilot since we will be without internet for at least a week. My neighbor’s talked us into going back to Minnesota and I figured out a route that will be interesting and there will be no backtracking. Then we will scoot across into Wisconsin.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry… I will think positively.

I am still showing off my New Ulm pictures. The City of New Ulm was important in Minnesota's history. The first steamboats passed by New Ulm in 1853, going up river with troops to lay out the site for Fort Ridgely. For the next 20 years, boats brought setters, freight, Indian supplies and gold to the area.

The Indians mingled freely with New Ulm settlers in those days. Much trading was done between the Indians and the settlers of New Ulm.

New Ulm was nearly overrun in the Dakota Conflict of 1862. A few buildings which still stand along Minnesota Street served as a refuge for residents and nearby settlers.

Because of its German heritage it has the “Herman the German” statue and Herman Missouri can now lay claim to having one of their very own, only smaller in size.

Click here for Herman the German, and no I didn’t make it to the top.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...