Thursday, September 16, 2010

Yesterday and Today

DSC_0258Yesterday I received a most wonderful gift from my adopted daughter, Belle.  She was at the hospital visiting my best friend, her mother, Carol.  Carol was having a good day and  Belle called and said “Pepper, here’s mom.”  That meant a lot to just hear her voice.  We have been friends for 28 years.  She will be in the hospital for a couple of weeks.  Hopefully she will improve enough to be sent home and if not, to a nursing home that is closer to home.  Belle, thank you so much.  I will be seeing you on Wednesday!!!!

Getting sick is not a good thing because I am behind in my blogging.  I need to stop taking so many pictures but there are so many interesting things in the world.  Mom and I went from Oolitic Indiana to Vincennes, Indiana.  We stopped at a Baptist Church in Washington Indiana with a marvelous historical cemetery.  Beautiful old stones rich in symbolism.   Spent way to much time there and took way to many pictures.

DSC_0239We didn’t get to Vincennes until late but I still went out.  Mom and I walked the main street and just got lost in the architecture.  At the end of Main Street is the Lincoln Memorial Bridge and the Clark Memorial.  I was taking pictures left and right.  I thoroughly enjoy being a tourist.  Vincennes is a town rich in history and is just a beautiful river town.   I definitely could go back.

Now I am going to try to learn something about architecture.  I love walking the Main Streets and driving the side roads but I have no idea of what I am looking at.  I just know what I like but I don’t know what it is…. The only cure for that is to learn.  Bear with me folks this is another long one….  This is what I have learned.

  Federal Style 1790 – 1820

The Federal Style became popular in the U.S. in the early years following independence. It has little ornament and is strictly symmetrical.

Greek Revival – 1820 – 1860

Patterned after Greek Temples. A bolder and more vigorous style than Federal. It had a cubical mass, a low pitched roof, dental decoration on the eaves and often an attic half story.

Italianate Commercial 1850 – 1890

Inspired by Italians villas this style was characterized by over-hanging eaves, supported by decorative brackets. This style from the Victorian era emphasized picturesque massing and exuberant designs. This was aided by use of cast iron, which allowed intricate designs to be produced cheaply and quickly.

Romanesque Revival 1880 – 1900

This style is part of the Victorian era, which began in the last half of the 1800’s and lasted through the turn of the century. This style is inspired by medieval Romanesque architecture and was very popular in Germany and among German immigrants. This style has heavy, rough masonry, bold appearance with big round arches. It often has a stair-step gable.

Neoclassical 1893 – 1930

Following the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, people began to favor more controlled, classically inspired designs. These buildings have more refined ornament, which typically includes columns, cornices and decorative swags. Tall buildings are typically separated into three parts: the street level, middle stories, and the upper zone, which is supported by a cornice skyline. Simplified classical motifs enliven the building surface.

Period Revival Styles 1895 – 1930

The revival styles were a mix of historically inspired styles, characterized by using carefully studied historical details in a free, eclectic manner.

Art Deco 1925 – 1940

Art deco was born in Europe at an International Expo In Paris. Forms are simple and cubic, with a mechanized feel, very streamlined and smooth. This style abandoned Neoclassicism and was popular not only in architecture but in designs for cars and jewelry.

Now Click Here For Pictures of Vincennes Main Street.

Click here for Washington Indiana Cemetery.

Tomorrow we are back on the road heading to Highland IL.  To quote my daughter, Hannah “WOOT”…. Woot is a good thing.

DSC_0263 DSC_0316
DSC_0157 DSC_0210
DSC_0196 DSC_0134

5 comments:

Anna Bananas cakes said...

WOW look at those buldings and surrounding land. It is so pretty kinda like being in another country or era. I am glad you got to talk to Carol she sounds like she is on a road to recovery and hopefully will be living closer to Isabell. Tell evryone in Highland we all said hi from Washington.

~~Mike~~ said...

Excellent! I enjoy learning new things :) Great pictures as always! Hope you are feeling much better now!

-Mike
97 RT 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

Isabelle said...

:D No thank you for standing by me through all this bullshit, you have been with me through the worst time's of my life..I can never thank you enough, I love you so much 8D When i saw mom it was like day and night, I was for Sure she was going to X.X the last time i saw her >.< Can't wait to see you (hope Hannah comes but she will have to go to graveyards with us :p) Muah xoxo

ST said...

I love your travels and interesting sites. I have noticed every cemetary that I pass and hope the souls are resting peacefully.
I have only a couple of weeks before getting back to Florida and then home but am already starting to think about where my travels will take me after spending the winter at home.

hannah jane said...

I am going to read a book describing the different styles of homes throughout the years hopefully soon. I picked it up at the library the other day, along with 32 other books : ) so I'm frantically inhaling them. I feel really lost about what I'm looking at too. I get into the whole 'that's neat' phrase because I do not know what else to say. I need to find some smarty pants pronto.
And I will tolerate the skeletons beneath my feet because I get to see you and Bell. I actually don't mind cemeteries. I actually like working with the numbers in my head and figuring out their astrological signs (omg she married a cancer?!?!?) and all that mumbo jumbo. And I enjoy the names too. I have my next five golden retrievers named just because of names I saw in cemeteries.
God I am so shallow. In a historical sense anyway. Although some history stuff kind of lights my fire, like plagues and fabrics and pickers (that's on the history channel so it counts), I could do with very little, just enough to stand on.
Speaking of history wait til you hear my expanding alan lomax collection. You will shiz yourself. But I will make you a cd of what you want.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...