Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Moving On

The furnace is fixed, the van washed and we are moving east tomorrow.  I wasn’t sure about taking the van to Camping World but I was desperate.   I am happy to say I was treated fairly, they didn’t over charge me, and I was happy with the end result.  They were busy so there was a long wait even with an appointment.  Mom and I usually anticipate a long wait when getting repairs done and come prepared.

*****

Ten_bearsI am reading “Empire of the Summer Moon” by S.C. Gwynne.  The following is from his book.  On October 1867 at the Medicine Lodge Treaty Conference, Paruasemena (Ten Bears) and other Yamparikas as well as a few other Comanches agreed to a smaller reservation in western Indian Territory of Oklahoma. At that conference Ten Bears gave this speech even though it was to late.  No free Indians were going to be allowed to wander anywhere.  Ten Bears knew the whites were not going to offer him anything better than they already had.

“My heart is filled with joy when I see you here, as the brooks fill with water when the snows melt in the spring; and I feel glad as the ponies do when the fresh grass starts in the beginning of the year…

My people have never first drawn a bow or fired a gun against the whites. There has been trouble between us… my young men have danced the war dance. But it was not begun by us. It was you who sent out the first soldier…

Two years ago I came upon this road, following the buffalo, that my wives and children might have their checks plump and their bodies warm. But the soldiers fired on us… so it was upon the Canadian. Nor have we been made to cry once alone. The blue dressed soldiers and the Utes came out from the night… and for campfires they lit our lodges. Instead of hunting game they killed my braves, and the warriors of the tribe cut short their hair for the dead.

So it was in Texas. They made sorrow in our camps, and we went out like the buffalo bulls when the cows are attacked. When we found them we killed them, and their scalps hang in our lodges. The Comanche are not weak and blind, like the pups of a dog when seven sleeps old. They are strong and far-sighted, like grown horses. We took their road and we went on it. The white women cried and our women laughed.

But there are things which you have said to me which I do not like. They were not sweet like sugar, but bitter like gourds. You have said they want to put us on a reservation, to build us houses and make us medicine lodges. I do not want them. I was born under the prairie, where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures and everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls. I know every stream and wood between the Rio Grande and the Arkansas. I have hunted and lived over that country. I live like my fathers before me and liked them I lived happily.

When I was in Washington the Great Father told me that all the Comanche land was ours and that no one should hinder us in living upon it. So, why do you ask us to leave the rivers and the sun and the wind and live in houses? Do not ask us to give up the buffalo for the sheep. The young men have heard talk of this, and it has made them sad and angry. Do not speak of it more. I love to carry out the talk I get from the Great Father. When I get goods and presents I and my people feel glad, since it shows that he holds us in his eye.

If the Texans had kept out of my country, there might have been peace. But that which you now say we must live in, is too small. The Texans have taken away the places where the grass grew the thickest and the timber was the best. Had we kept that, we might have done the things you ask. But it is too late. The whites have the country we loved, and we wish only to wander on the prairie till we die.”

*****

As most people know I love history and I enjoy walking through old cemeteries.  I have been trying not to overwhelm this blog with a lot of cemetery pictures.  I did go thru the Trinity Cemetery by President Johnson’s home and I wandered the cemetery in Fredericksburg, both were maintained – Trinity more so. 

Enjoy the pictures of Trinity Cemetery and Fredericksburg Cemetery.  Click here to view more.

Trinity Cemetery DSC_0287
DSC_0291 DSC_0296
DSC_0302 DSC_0306

 

Fredericksburg Cemetery DSC_0312
DSC_0338 DSC_0372
DSC_0367 DSC_0379
DSC_0346 DSC_0423
DSC_0461 DSC_0445

4 comments:

Robin said...

Girl, if cemeteries are your thing, overwhelm away. It's your blog......

Al Bossence said...

Ten Bears was a very wise man. I always feel such sadness when I think about the terrible wrongs and injustices that were inflicted on these great tribes and nations.
Thanks for sharing that.

Kelly

Anonymous said...

"I feel glad as the ponies do when the fresh grass starts in the beginning of the year"......... Ten Bears was quite eloquent & it makes me want to write. Those words say so much - to be one with nature. I want to be the fresh grass in the beginning of the year. Or the pony enjoying the fresh grass after a long winter of eating hay. Or the person who recognizes how happy all beings are when Spring has sprung & how it signifies a new beginning. Guess I know my next read......
As always, thanks for sharing, Pep!

~~Mike~~ said...

Glad to hear the furnace is fixed! I have to check mine out as well. They must know winter is coming!

Ten Bears was very wise and definitely had a way with words! Thanks for posting this :) Always enjoy seeing your pics too, no matter what you are capturing, they are always fun to look at! You have a great "eye" for photography!

-Mike
97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...