Thursday, February 10, 2011

Birds

I love to watch birds but I am not very good at photographing them.  I was so lucky this winter to see a few rare birds and to photograph some.  I am not an avid bird watcher so I don’t know the names of some of the birds I have seen or photographed.  Google has been instrumental in helping me identify most of my birds.

Mom and I took an airboat ride and I saw my first Snail Kite.  The Snail Kite is a  endangered species in the Florida Everglades. It is a bird of prey, its diet consists almost exclusively of apple snails.  I saw two of them in fact.   Another bird I saw the Wood Crane.  It reminds me of an old man, I don’t know why.  Of course there were the Limpkins, Blue Herons, Bitterns, and my favorite the Anhinga. 

I decided to post pictures of the birds I have seen.    Enjoy.

DSC_0041

Anhinga
DSC_0075

Snowy Egret
DSC_0156 DSC_0224

Limpkin
DSC_0171

Wood Crane
DSC_0197

Wood Crane
zoom (2)

Anhinga
zoom (25)

Great Blue Heron
zoom (28) DSC_0149
DSC_0014 zoom (20)

everglades 3100 (18)
Snail Kite
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to watch birds also. I think the pictures are very good.

hannah jane said...

I like the bird second from the bottom left. What a beautiful color!

ST said...

Your photos are good! And I love the new one of your mom at the top of the page.

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...