Saturday, September 23, 2006

Roubidoux

September is the month of memories. It is the beginning of Autumn with Winter peeking around the corner. The weather is right for “porch sitting” and reminiscing about Spring and Summer. My favorite reminisces is of float trips. The lazy way the canoe drifts down the river, cold drinks, soggy sandwiches, and finding treasures that lay on the bottom. I miss those times with my children.

September is a special time for beginnings. It was in September that my two grandchildren were born, and September is the month that my first child (father of my grandchildren) was born. There are times when I feel sad because I don’t see them, maybe once a year if I am lucky and the children don’t know who I am. I don’t know what a grandmother is but I can imagine. Jolie paints such a delightful picture of her grandchildren that I live vicariously through her. She gives me the paintbrush and I paint the picture of the perfect grandmother that I would be. I think to myself if they lived close by what will I do to give my grandchildren the memories they need of this family. Would I be reckless and buy them enough goodies to spoil them rotten? How many times a week would we be at the park? What embarrassing stories could I tell them of their father that would make them laugh and realize that he too was a child? What good night stories would I tell? Of course I wouldn’t scare the bejesus out of them like I did with my children. I sometimes walk through the children section and see items I would like to give, to share but I refrain. Instead I give Isabel a soft, stuff fish that makes a boing noise when you drop it. The postmaster had to mark on the box “sound is okay.” I can only imagine her giggles.

September is the time of edification. Or it was when my children were small. This September my daughter joined a grotto and will be exploring Big Smittle. I know as a mother I should be concerned. Flash floods, collapsing walls, bats, the unknown but it is an interest that my daughter enjoys. The time for me to say “no” is over. I open that door a long time ago and let my children leave to create their own lives. I can shake my head, say prayers, but I feel I gave them enough instructions/ guidance to let them be the person they want to be. I am proud of them all.

It is such a lazy Saturday afternoon. I cleaned the “house” from top to bottom. Completed my outside chores and wrote a little. Now it is time for a good book and the couch. I wish to all of you a peaceful September Saturday morn.
Illinois

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...