Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Yaxche


For the Mayan Culture, the tree of life, called Yaxche, is a Ceiba tree. This is a tall tree with buttressed roots, a straight trunk and a high horizontal crown (underworld, earth, and heavans). The ancient Maya of Central America believed that a great Ceiba tree stood at the center of the earth, connecting the terrestrial world to the spirit-world above. The long thick vines hanging down from its spreading limbs provided a connection to the heavens for the souls that ascended them.

I have found my version of “the tree of life.” No, it is not as majestic as the Ceiba tree and definitely not as tall but the music that comes from this tree is indescribable. I walk outside every morning and I hear music of at least 20 birds coming from this tree. What makes this tree magical is you don’t see the orchestra (the birds). The tree’s branches are so full that it hides the birds and gives the illusion the tree is creating this symphony. To stand under it is deafening and birds have no fear of me standing there looking up. They know they are protected by this tree. This afternoon I finally saw two Grackles flying out of the tree but the symphony kept playing until dark.

0 comments:

What Dogs See

I am now a happy person that shares her home with two dogs. Miss Sophie has moved in with us full time. She is a Miniature Pinscher, 6 years...